Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Refashioned Shirt Dress for Little Momo

I have done a lot of sewing this month.  I thought I would not get around to work on this refashion project, but I was able to complete it before the Refashion Month at House of Estrela is over!


It started with this men's shirt...  It used to belong to Momo's daddy.  It was size small, but still huge on a little girl.   So the story of the shirt was like this:  Daddy claimed the shirt shrunk after washing and gave it to me.  I wore it few times as a shirt jacket, but it was not flattering on me, so I quit wearing it.   Daddy kept it in the closet for years saying he may wear it if he loses weight.  YEAH LIKE THAT WOULD EVER HAPPEN.  So tired of looking at the shirt, I refashioned it for our daughter.

So the shirt was cut up...then sewed back together and given a new life :)

My first thought was to make a simple peasant-style A-line dress out of it.  But when I tried the shirt on Momo, I liked how the collars looked on her, so I kept them.   Change of plans...I decided to make more structured shirt dress, and cut the shirt up to bodice piece and skirt piece.  I used the whole shirt width for the skirt, adding pleats to the front and gathers to the back.   Those boring buttons were replaced with bright mint green ones.  Lastly the belt loops were added.
Momo does not own any belts, so I made a sash using quilting cotton.

This refashion took longer than it should have, because first I made the dress too long.  After trying it out on Momo, I realized the longer skirt did not look good.  I took the dress apart at the waist, cut the skirt shorter, and sewed them back again.

But looking at the photos, I am thinking I should have cut the bottom hem and sewn a straight line hem.  Well too late now.  The dress is now not long enough for another re-do.
Momo enjoys wearing a dress that used to be Daddy's shirt.  Daddy is afraid I am going to hack his clothes again.  I assured him I would not touch his clothes unless he gives it to me...


I am done with KCW and refashion projects I wanted to do.  Now I am going to see how many skirts I can sew this week for Skirting the Issue.  I have some stash fabrics I need to use up, but just sorting them out may take days...


Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                       

Friday, July 25, 2014

Kid Art Sally Dress for Little Momo

The Kid's Clothes Week has a theme this season, and the theme is "Kid Art."  This was just a push I needed to do something I have been thinking of doing -combining my sewing with Momo's art!
My daughter loves coloring.  My first thought was to create something she can color with fabric markers.  But lately, she has been a bit of perfectionist when it comes to coloring...when she goes out of lines or she sees the colors are not working out for her, she destroys her work.   I did not want her to destroy something I have sewn, so I tried something else.
I made a Sally Dress in sleeveless version.  Sally Dress has two large pockets, just perfect for me to add Momo's art works on.

Here are the examples of her drawings.  Yeah, I know.  She is quite an artist, isn't she???  ;D


I gave her white papers and a black sharpie to draw whatever she wanted.  Then I picked something I liked and easy to trace.  I had just bought puffy fabric paint to use on another project I have in my mind, so I tested out this puffy paint. 
Momo is bigger because she is a "big girl" now ;) 

I used broadcloth fabric for the pockets.  The fabric is thin enough to see through the black sharpie for tracing.  I traced the artwork to the pocket pieces before sewing up the dress, in case this does not work out.  It was my first time using a fabric paint, and I was not sure how this was going to turn out.  I sure did not want to ruin the dress at the very last step!

I placed the art work too low on the pockets.  When I hemmed the dress the stitches had to go over our legs!
Why does this happy-faced sun has 3 eyes?  Well...one of them is actually his nose ;)

I know my fabric paint job is iffy, and this is not the prettiest dress I have ever made.  But this was supposed to be a fun project for both of us, and I think I achieved that.  Momo thought it was funny to see her drawings on her dress!
I got this cotton print from Hancock's clearance table.  I wanted a print that is not something I would normally pick.  I did not want the print to get too much attention or interfere with the art work.  I thought this print was just about right and I liked the color.  It just happened to be the same blue-green color with the broadcloth I had in my stash.  


The dress is made in size 3T with added length.  Sally dress's bodice is short on Momo, so I added extra 1 inch in length.  I also lengthened the skirt to make it below-knee length.  
Momo loves the large pockets.  She asked me what she could put in those.  I told her she could put her treasures.  Then the rest of the photo shoot was Momo hiding something in there and asking me to guess what they were...




Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                       


   
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...