Thursday, August 4, 2011

Banana Coconut Muffin

My arm injury has been keeping me away from gardening and workout.  No workout means no treats for my sweet tooth...hence no baking.  Well, not completely.  I do still sometimes bake, if I can find time.  Tonight my hubby offered to cook dinner.   Yay!  One less thing I need to do today!  I checked our kitchen and found half bag of coconut flakes.  I thought about chocolate-covered coconut cookies.  Then I noticed very ripe banana that was begging to be baked into a cake.  So I baked Banana Coconut Muffin.


I baked the butter in muffin cups instead of cake pan, to reduce the baking time.  I bake after putting my baby Momo into bed and finishing dinner.  No one wants to wait for 1 hour for the cake to be baked at night.  Besides, we are supposed to cut our electricity use during this hot summer. 

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2  teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 lemon juice
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 ripe banana
coconut flakes

Directions:
1. Warm up milk and coconut flakes in small pan.  Let it cool down.
2. Shift flour, baking powder, and salt together.  Set aside.
3. Mix baking soda and lemon juice.  Set aside.
4. Beat butter and brown sugar. Add eggs one by one and beat.
5. Add baking soda mixture and mix. 
6. Add 1/2 of flour mixture and mix. 
7. Add the rest of flour mixture and milk mixture.  Also add mashed banana and mix.
8. Bake in preheated oven at 385 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes.

Tips:
I cooked coconut and milk together first, thinking that may bring out the coconut flavor more.  I think it did.  I used the leftover coconut flakes, which was about 1/2 of 7oz bag.  I thought that was a bit too much, but I just wanted to use up all of them.  Besides, my hubby loves coconut.

I added about 1/3 cup of sugar.  I think many will find more sugar is needed and need to double the amount.

Normally when I bake banana cake, I mix mashed banana with rum before mixing into butter.  I was out of rum today.  And no, I did not have rum&coke for dinner.

Butter, egg, and milk should be at room temperature.  When you do not have enough time to take them out of fridge, butter can be microwaved for 10 seconds and eggs can be placed in warm water.

Baking time varies depending on the oven.  Mine usually takes longer time ot bake anything.


This recipe makes 12 soft and fluffy muffins.

Tomorrow is Friday.  We deserve a muffin (or two) for breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...