Friday, October 7, 2011

Pumpkin Halloween Pillowcase Dress for Baby Momo

The inspiration for this pumpkin dress is here: Pumpkin Dresses-Sugar Bee Crafts

When I was browsing the clearance fabric at Joann, I saw this rib knit in bright orange.  I thought it was the perfect Halloween color.  I had already made ghost Halloween dress for Baby Momo, and was not planning making a pumpkin dress. But since the ghost dress did not turn out as good as I like, and here there was the perfect orange color fabric in front of me, I decided to make a pumpkin dress.  I had never sewn rib knit fabric, and was curious to know how it will turn out as dress too.  I would never know if I did not try. 
So the orange color fabric was made into another pillowcase dress:


I decided to add the pumpkin face after the dress is complete.  First I wanted to see how the dress would turn out.

This time I referred to three pillowcase dress tutorials.
First, again I referred to Prudent Baby's Pillowcase Dress tutorial for the basic pattern and construction of the dress.  This time I made the dress shorter and narrower to fit my baby Momo better.
Then I followed Fat Quarter Pillowcase Dress tutorial from The Mother Huddle for making armholes.  I liked the idea of not using the bias tapes.  I think this especially worked fine for the knit fabric.
Lastly I followed Pillowcase Shirt tutorial from The Polkadot Chair for using elastic in the dress casing.  I really like this idea, since the ribbons stay in the place and there is no choking worries!

I used starch spray on the fabric, and it really helped me sew the knit fabric.
I added ruffles on the bottom to make this a really cute dress. 
I really like it that the knit fabric does not fray and I don't have to finish the edges.

I liked the dress as-is, and debated myself if I should add the jack-O-Lantern face to the dress.  I thought about it for 1 day and decided to add a very simple face to the dress.  After all, it is a pumpkin color dress and it is Halloween time. 

Baby Momo will be wearing this dress on weekends in October. 

I really like this rib knit fabric.  I should have used this kind of fabric for the ghost dress too.  Well, that is something I will do next year...










5 comments:

  1. what a cute dress :) come visit me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so stinkin Cute! I love it! I have made a ghost dress like this, but I think i need to make a pumpkin one now too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute. I look that baby which image you give on your post is looking very pretty after wearing that dress. Like your post and dress too. Thank you.........

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...