Monday, February 6, 2012

Ruched Skirt for Little Momo


I think my daughter Momo looks the best when she is wearing simple clothes.  This is especially true when taking her pictures.  But I felt like making something really girly for her.  Maybe Valentine approaching has something to do with my feelings
I have been seeing ruched skirts online and meaning to try it, so that is what I did.



The tutorial I used for this skirt is here: Claire Skirt -Blooms And Bugs
Until I read this tutorial,  I was just going to create a layered gather skirt and add a separate waist band.  But this tutorial shows you how to create elastic casing without making it too bulky for a layered skirt.  Brilliant!

I experimented creating the elastic casing inside the skirt.  Though I love Momo's toddler belly, I do not like how it is emphasized with well defined waist band.
The result... Though this skirt may mask Momo's belly better,  I think the skirt itself looks better when it has well defined waist band :(

I miserably failed creating ruched effect using gathering and zigzag stitches as explained in the tutorial.  I ended up hand-sewing.  I think they look okay...


The outer fabric I used is from Joann and I bought 1 yard for $3 during the sale.   I wanted to add eyelet lace to the inner layer, but they were priced higher than I was willing to pay, so I got tulle for less than $1 a yard and added as tulle ruffles.  Using a lace would have saved me time, but I like the result I got with the tulle ruffle.  The skirt looks really girly now.  I cut the inner layer fabric 0.5 inch shorter than the outer fabric, because I only wanted the ruffle to peek through a little where the top layer is ruched.


I made the waist to fit loose on Momo so it will be comfortable for her to wear, but I think I may have made it too loose...Momo tries to pull the skirt up to wear it as a dress.









Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



3 comments:

  1. Wow! This is such a beautiful skirt. And Momo is a cutie pie!That tulle at the bottom is a very sweet detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I'd love for you to share this at Mix it up Monday:

    http://flourmewithlove.blogspot.com/2012/02/mix-it-up-monday.html

    I hope to see you soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww..so cute! I love the fabric. Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!

    www.bearrabbitbear.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...