Monday, March 5, 2012

Celebrating the Girl's Festival (Hinamatsuri)

March 3rd is the Girl's Festival Day in Japan.  It is the day to celebrate and wish for the girls' good health and happiness (there is also the Boy's Festival Day -May 5th, which is also the Children's Festival Day).

Hina dolls are displayed on this occasion. The male and female pair dolls are said to represent the Emperor and the Empress.    The traditional doll sets could cost a couple of hundreds to thousands of dollars.


There are of course, more affordable toy-like dolls out there.  I decided to make those toy Hina dolls that my daughter Momo can actually touch and play with.

My dolls are basically stuffed yo-yos attached together.  I used white knit fabric for the heads, and for the bodies, I used the beautiful cotton fabric from Japan.


I tried to make the hair out of felt, but the head looked like it was covered with seaweed.  I do not knit, so I had to run to the store to get the yarn.



I heard that Hina dolls are supposed to take the bad luck in place of the girl who was given the dolls to, so I would love to get the traditional dolls for Momo someday.  With all the beatings they are getting from Momo, I am not sure how willing those toy dolls are to take the bad luck for her ;)

The typical Girl's Festival menu includes sushi, soup, 3-colored mochi (sticky rice), and rice malt sake wine.  Since Momo cannot eat them, I did not prepare any of them. Among those, the diamond-shaped 3-colored mochi is probably the most typical food for this occasion.  The white color represents snow, the green color underneath represents green sprouts, and the pink color represents the peach blossoms.  I love how these colors together represent the arrival of Spring.  But since the sticky rice can be a choking hazard to small children, I made 3-colored non-bake cheesecake dessert instead.


Momo is still too young to understand what we are celebrating.  All she knows is that she got new toys and she got to eat her favorite strawberries :)










Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



5 comments:

  1. We celebrated girls day too! Found you from the Linky Followers blog hop! Hope you can follow me back at www.lucasandmahina.com!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! You did an awesome job maiking the dolls also! I would love for you to stop by and Link up at my Link Party via: www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com


    PS: I am your newest Linky Follower!

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post. I love your Hina dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm dying over those little dolls. Adorable! I would love to be on your link party list. My party – The Inspiration Board is up right now and I know my readers would love this. Hope to see you there.
    http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/2012/03/inspiration-board-link-party-40.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...