Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Famous Chocolate Chip Cookie


I felt like baking today, and I knew what I wanted was chocolate chip cookies.  I used to try and experiment different recipes, but my search for THE BEST chocolate chip cookie recipe ended when I learned about THE MOST FAMOUS chocolate chip cookie recipe -the Neiman Marcus Cookie Recipe.

It is a simple recipe, but produces so yummy cookies.  I know I used to be able to find the recipe on Neiman Marcus home page, but I cannot find it now.  So here is the recipe I use with little modifications from the original.

Ingredients (makes 45-50):
2 cup all-purpose flour
1  teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 lemon juice
2 1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter -at room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs -at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate chips
Nuts of your choice
Dry Cranberries


Directions:
1. Shift flour, baking powder, and salt together.  Set aside.
2. Mix baking soda and lemon juice.  Set aside.
3. Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one by one and beat.
4. Add vanilla.  Mix.
5. Add baking soda mixture. Mix.
6. Add the flour mixture, oatmeal, chocolate chips, dry cranberries.  Mix.
7. Using spoons, drop the dough on cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees F for about 10 minutes.

The original recipe I saw did not have oatmeal, but I find this cookie is better with oatmeal.  I also like adding cranberries.   I normally add 1cup of chocolate chips, a small bag (2  1/4 oz) of walnut, and half of 5 oz bag of cranberries.  Sometimes I add more...No one ever complains that the cookeis have too much chocolate ;)
The original recipe required more sugar (I think it required 1 cup of granulated sugar), but I find it was a little too sweet for my taste.   I would reduce the sugar even more, if I were baking the cookies only for myself.  But of course I do not eat 50 cookies all by myself -not that I cannot, but because I should not.   I do not reduce sugar more than I already have, so the cookies will appeal to everyone.

THE PERFECT cookies to share at the office :)







Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



3 comments:

  1. Mmm,...these look great. I have never had a Neiman Marcus cookie (if you can imagine, lol). I wll have to pin these. I would be thrilled if you would share these at our LInk It Up Thursday party going on until Monday. http://thesepeastastefunny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look yummy and so chewy! Thanks for sharing at Things I've Done Thursday! www.bearrabbitbear.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmy.. This looks amazing.. Thanks SO much for linking to Pin'Inspirational Thursday.. Sincerely appreciate it.. Wishing you a lovely start to your weekend.. Hope you are back again next week.. ;)) xo~ Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...