Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hat and Socks Makeover for Little Momo


My daughter Momo needed a new hat, as the last year's hat no longer fits her.  I went to Target, and unexpectedly found a hat for $1.  It is not fancy, it is cheaply-made.  But it only cost $1 and it was perfect for me to try and see if Momo would wear a hat...since Momo HATED wearing a hat last year.

Well this year, Momo seems to LOVE wearing a hat.  She would wear the hat and admire how she looks in the mirror :)

OK, so Momo wears a hat.  Should I go look for a better looking hat?  I thought about it a little bit and scratched off the idea.  Though Momo loves the hat today, that does not mean she still likes to wear it next month.  She does change her mind often.  Besides, the good thing about having $1 hat is that you will not get mad or disappointed if it is tossed into mud or something.

So I just gave the hat a simple make-over.
Here is the original hat.

My main concern about this hat is it is very thin.  I do not think it is good enough as a sun protection.
So I attached a liner using cotton fabric.  I am not sure if this is a good idea at this point, so I stitched it to the hat rather than using hot glue, to make it easily removable.

Then I removed the thin pink ribbon I did not care for, and covered the area with rolled tulle.  I used hot glue to secure the tulle.
Momo owns many flower and bow clips, and they can be interchangeably attached to the tulle.



Momo wears the hat even when playing inside the house :)

Target also sells those rolled socks for $1 a pair.  I actually got some for less than $1 a pair thanks to the clearance sale.  I added ribbons to make the simple socks fancier.

I have tried gathering the ribbon and then sewing to the sock before.  Well they did not come out very nice.  I found a much better way to make ruffle socks here: The Ribbon Retreat.  

I bought 6 pairs...4 more pairs to go!









Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



6 comments:

  1. The hats and socks are really beautiful! Thanks for becoming a Linky Follower. I will also become your Linky Follower.
    Judy- Judy H-J's Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these socks - so pretty! I'm your newest follower. Would love for you to come by my blog as well :)
    www.barefootbysea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute ideas!
    aren't our children funny!? You just never know what they will all the sudden like or dislike!
    I love how she even wears it in the house :)
    my favorite is that you can interchange the flowers or bows :)
    I found you through 7ways to follow.
    Http://tumblestonehandmakery.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is the perfect model - so adorable. I love that she can change up the flower - that is really brilliant. Thanks so much for sharing at our party this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable!! Glad to have you at Things I've Done Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from Fun Stuff Fridays! http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...