Monday, June 25, 2012

Patriotic Dress for Little Momo (and Me!)


This year I wanted to make a "Red, White and Blue" dress for my daughter before July 4th.  I found this plaids fabric at a local fabric store for 70% off from the regular price of $3.99 a yard!  Sold!
I am not a fabric expert, but I think this fabric may be considered medium weight fabric.  I just thought the Party Dress pattern was perfect for this fabric.


So this is my second time trying the Party Dress pattern from The Cottage Home (the first try was here).   I knew the pattern was great, and I could make small modifications.   I did not want a full skirt this time, so I just cut the fabric salvage to salvage to make the skirt.  I skipped the skirt band at the hem, also skipped making a sash and just attached a ribbon at waist.  And again I used narrow ribbons for the button loops, because I just cannot make those narrow fabric tubes!  Those small modification saved me time making this dress.

I'm thinking maybe the skirt should be a little shorter...but I love the dress!

When I go out with my daughter, I like to dress in the way the colors of our clothes match or compliment the each other.  And lately I have been wanting to really match...match our clothes!   I took advantage of the cheap fabric and I finally did it!


Well, mine is not a dress, but just a skirt.   The pattern I used is McCall's M5430.  I learned about this pattern from Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife.  She made a pretty skirt for herself and introduced us the pattern.   After reading her post, I knew this pattern was the one to try if I ever were to sew for myself.   The pattern made a clean A-line skirt.
I am a very slow sewer.  And this "1-hour skirt" took me more than 6 hours to complete...just cutting the fabric took me an hour.   And the result...well I cannot say I am in love.  I did not realize how hard it is to wear a plaids skirt until I wore it...without looking like I am trying hard for preppy style :(
But I see the potential in the pattern.  I would try again with light weight fabric next time, and I am thinking a bit longer and narrower skirt would be more flattering for me.

I do love Momo's dress...and Momo loved carousel rides again :)

...well into the night.






Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



7 comments:

  1. The dress is adorable and looks great at that length!!! The skirt looks really good on you. I am slow with cutting out... it's the part of sewing I least like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress is so cute and festive for the 4th of July! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow the dress looks so sweet,great skirt too lovely pictures.Thanks for joining us at Creative Mondays :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Annie,

    Great job!! I love the way it turned out, the blue ribbon pulls it all together. Momo is a very cute model! It looks like you did a awesome job on your skirt as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the plaid! I also think those "1 hour" patterns are deceiving. I kept sewing the waistband upside down:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! I love the fabric! What a deal!!! The dress and the skirt are wonderful! :)
    StacySewsandSchools.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...