Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Refashioned Knit Peasant Dress for Little Momo



I have been keeping myself busy lately.  I have many sewing projects I want to try.  But after making the garden party dress that took me hours and one sleepless night to complete, I was a bit burned out.  I needed a quick and easy project.  Simple refashion project was what I needed.


A while ago I read a great tip somewhere to buy cheap adult size clothes just for the fabric.  The larger the size, the better because you get more fabric.  It is a great idea...especially for the knit fabrics.  Knit fabris in cute prints are especially hard to find at the local fabric stores.
Since then it has became my habit to check the women's clearance clothes at Target every time I visit the store.  They are always adding new items to the clearance rack, and 75% items are my favorites :)  


This is the original woman's top from Target, in size XL.  

I actually like getting size XS so adjusting the neckline for my daughter Momo's size would be easier, but this was the only size I could find for this top.  This top already had elastics in neck and arm openings, the reason I liked this top besides its blue color I wanted to add to Momo's closet.    

I used Momo's size 2T A-line dress as a guide to cut the top.  After sewing the front and back pieces together,  I added elastic to the waist to add shape to the dress.

I attempted to add the decorative ruffles using navy knit fabric first, but I just did not like the look.  The colors were just too dark and boring for a little girl... so I used bright yellow knit instead.  I also added a little flower using the yellow and navy fabrics.  Now I really like how the dress look :)

The knit dress is so comfortable, it does not keep Momo from running, jumping, and chasing balls and bubbles...




Hot summer days are here in Texas.  I think this loose-fitting, light and soft knit dress is perfect for the summer.









Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



7 comments:

  1. Fabulous! I love to see how you can take a woman's shirt and make it fit your little one. So cute, and the pictures of her posing in it are precious! Found you at Make the Scene Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job,it looks super....Sweet pictures :)Thanks for linking up to Creative Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great refashion, Annie!!! The yellow ruffle really stands out against the blue and really makes the dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is adorable - I love this "new" dress...super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks so adorable!! So glad you linked this to Things I've Done Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so so cute, and Momo looks adorable in it! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annie, I love to see what you come up with next (do you ever rest?). Thanks for sharing at our party this week.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...