Wednesday, June 20, 2012

W Gauze White & Blue Dress for Little Momo


About 2 months ago I did fabric shopping online. I was browsing through and I saw so many beautiful fabrics. And this nani IRO double gauze fabric was one of them.   The fabric cost more than what I am usually willing pay, so I did not buy it right away.  But then I kept thinking about this fabric, so I had to buy it.  I bought less than a yard, thinking to make something simple.  A fabric this beautiful just need a simple design to show itself off.


Flowers? Clouds? Or birds...how can I not love this fabric!

I decided to try one of the McCall's patterns. M5836 is what I used for this dress.

Here was my BIG mistake...not trying out the pattern with practice fabric first! I do not normally do that, but this fabric was special to me and I should have taken that extra step. This pattern was sized too huge!   I cut the pieces in 2T size, and I could tell this was going to be A LOT larger than the normal 2T size dress. I trimmed the sides of the bodice pieces a bit to make it narrower.  But I was afraid of trimming them too much.  Since this design did not have a zipper or buttons, I was afraid my daughter will not be able to wear it if I trimmed too much.  Well...I should have trimmed more, and Momo should have still been able to wear it.

I do not understand why the pattern was sized so huge.  The length was actually perfect.  I wanted mine to be a dress without the ruffles, so I cut the skirt pieces longer than the pattern.  And  the shoulder straps are the same as the pattern size.  The pattern package shows perfectly cute dress...the model girl is thin and the dress seems fit!  I know the obesity in children are becoming a problem in the U.S., but did McCall's adjust the pattern for this growing problem???

The dress is big...but it managed to stay on Momo as she danced :)

I thought about taking the dress apart and making it smaller, but decided not to.  I am afraid I will ruin it.   If I had tried the dress on Momo as I made it, maybe I could have adjusted better.  But I sewed at night after Momo went to bed, and I wanted to finish this dress before the next day.

We took Momo to a small amusement park...



Carousels are Momo's favorite... She could have been the happiest girl at the park...till it was time to go home ;(

   






Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



11 comments:

  1. Its an adorable dress, Annie!!! I find garments made with McCalls, Butterick etc always turn out too big. At least the dress will last for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dress you did a great job,so glad you will be linking up with us on Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is adorable and so is the dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annie
    That isa a cute little girl :)
    HAPPY MIDSUMMER
    and do not miss....

    M
    I
    D
    S
    U
    M
    M
    E
    R

    P
    A
    R
    T
    Y

    it is FUN :)
    WELCOME
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the dress!! The fabric is absolutely gorgeous!!!
    I have had issues with some patterns being too large as well. :/

    stacysewsandschools.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sweet dress - and it seems patterns can be cut wonky no matter what the "finished" project looks like! It is still beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute dress. It may seem a little loose but at her age, she'll probably grow into it before summer is over. If not you can always add eyelet to it and it will be new for next year. : ) I'd love if you'd link it at my Frugal Treasures Tuesday party. Thanks for sharing, I'm a new follower.
    Barbe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I love Momo's sandals in the first picture. : ) The crowns are adorable.

      Delete
  8. Amazing job with the dress! I would love for you to link up to my linky party via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/06/live-show-me-what-you-got-tuesdays.html

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...