Friday, August 10, 2012

Orange Gauze Summer Dress for Little Momo


More than 2 months ago, I took green gauze fabric and orange gauze fabric out of the stash, and asked my daughter Momo which one she liked better.  She chose the orange without hesitation.  I told her I would make her a dress with it, and she was happy to hear that.  My daughter seems to have completely forgotten about it, but it is about  time I keep my promise ;)

The reason it took me long time to start working on this dress is because I had particular design in mind.  I wanted a summer dress with criss-cross front bodice.  I looked for the pattern, but I could not find one... You would think Simplicity or McCall's would have one with this kind of design, but they do not.  I searched online and I DID find one pattern and tutorial with this design, but the way the dress was constructed was not going to work for me.  I wanted a lot of gathering for the skirt so it will not be see-through.  Also I wanted to sandwich the skirt between the bodice front and lining to hide the edge because I do not own a serger.  I could not modify the pattern I found online, so finally I decided to make the pattern myself.  Well, I did not make one from scratch.  I took out the bodice pattern I used for the bubble top, because it fits my daughter perfectly.  I used the back bodice pattern as-is, and just drew diagonal lines in the front bodice pattern.  For the skirt, I just cut two pieces salvage to salvage, sew them together into a skirt.


After making the bodice and trying it on Momo, I realized I made it too big for her.  Since the bodice pattern was the perfect size when I used it to make a top last time, I thought staying in the same size would work.  But I was wrong.  I had to trim the front bodice twice till it fit Momo.


Also somehow I ended up using the shorter elastic pieces for the back this time.  



When Momo wears this dress, she says "I'm a princess!" 

I would have liked more realistic-looking butterflies on her hair, but those were perfect color match to this dress and were sold at clearance price at Michael's :)

I love it that the gauze dress is very light even with the full skirt.  When I go shopping, I see fall decorations and fashions everywhere already, but it is still upper 90s degrees out there... Momo NEEDS a light summer dress!

So what did I learn from this experiment?  
1) Find a good pattern and stick to it.
2) Or if creating a pattern yourself, be ready to spend some time on it...







Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



17 comments:

  1. This is adorable, Annie. The front bodice sits beautifully, but will still have room to move with the gathers at the back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so cute. That fabric is so lovely and summery. And what a cut little girl too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute. And I think the butterflies are adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! She certainly is a princess! The orange is a great colour for summer, so bright and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a sweet little dress! I love the colour and the adorable model :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a cute dress. Love the fabric and what a cute little girl. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Annie, its so cute and so is your little model, Momo! You did a great job on the dress. We're in the 100's here and it's so hard to look at the fall fabrics and think of wearing any of it! lol You keep me so enthused to get my new sewing machine next month. Thanks so much for linking up your cute creative dress at Frugal Treasures Tuesday!
    Barbe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful :) thanks for joining us at Creative Mondays ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That turned out so cute! I love the color, your daughter is such a cutie!
    Julianne
    www.sewfantastic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking up last week! You were the most viewed link! Im featuring you Thursday at 7 pm :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful dress. I love the color (Momo made a great choice). You did such a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great dress. And, she looks so pretty! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Bear Rabbit Bear. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/08/make-it-pretty-monday-week-10.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely! I want one for myself :)
    I host a link party with two other bloggers. When you add a link it will show up on all three blogs. I would really love to have you add this to the hop: http://www.hideousdreadfulstinky.com/2012/08/eat-make-grow-thursday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wanted to stop by and let you know that you were featured today over at Just Us Four! I hope you will stop by and grab a featured button!

    ReplyDelete
  15. very cute dress and great pictures too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...