Thursday, October 25, 2012

Alice in Wonderland Dress for Little Momo


This year I wanted Momo to decide what to be for Halloween.  I told her she could be anything she wanted, and Momo got so excited when she heard that.  But then she told me she wanted to be a tiger.  To be honest, I was a little disappointed.  I expected her to tell me something only 2-year-old imagination could come up with, so "tiger" was a little boring to me.  An hour later Momo told me she wanted to be a tiger, she changed her mind and told me she wanted to be a cheetah instead.  A cheetah.  Still a little boring choice I thought, but I thought we would let her be a cheetah if that was what she wanted.

Then I let Momo watch Disney's Alice in Wonderland...and Momo fell in love with the movie!  Since she loves it so much, I asked her if she wanted to be "Alice" instead of a cheetah.  The answer was "Yes!"



I decided not to introduce Momo any other new movies until the Halloween is over, because I do not want her to change her mind about Alice :)  I know there is nothing original about "Alice" costume, but I like the idea.  I felt "Alice" character fits Momo better than the princesses, and my hubby and I could also join her dressing up as the Wonderland characters!

I could have just bought Alice costume for about $20, and Momo would have probably been happy with it.  But I wanted to have some fun taking "Alice in Wonderland" photos, and the $20 costume did not look good enough to me.  And I was not willing to pay more $$ for the fancier dresses.

At the fabric store, I chose cotton fabrics over satin.  I was going to make Alice dress, not Cinderella dress...I just did not feel like Alice should wear satin.  But maybe next time I will use satin...cotton is just too easy to get wrinkled!!


I knew exactly what to do for Alice's aprons, because I have seen the tutorial for it more than a month ago at: Alice in Wonderland Apron Tutorial -Threading My Way.  It was easy to follow Pam's clear step-by-step instructions.  Thanks, Pam!  I added ruffles to my apron, to add extra girly-ness :)

For the dress, I drew sleeves and collar patterns myself using the party dress pattern as the base.  And referred to this tutorial for how to attach them: Vintage Holiday Dress -Simple Simon &Co.
I attached a row of tulle ruffles to the lining skirt.  I have done this before here and here, and liked the puffiness the tulle ruffles give to the skirts.  I wanted a big skirt for this dress, because Alice's skirt needs to work as a parachute when she is going down the rabbit hole ;)

Hairbands do not stay well on Momo's head, so I made a huge black bow and attached it to a snap-on clip.



Here is one of the "Alice in Wonderland" photo fun we had...






Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



12 comments:

  1. OMG, Annie, this outfit is gorgeous!
    She is so beautiful :)
    And congratulations on your other costume feature the other day, I was so happy to be on the same page with you.

    Have a great time!
    Ana
    p.s. I really really really prefer homemade costumes then ones from the store. So much more character.
    p.s.2. the last photo - just like a storybook :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out really sweet! And I would sew Alice over a cheetah any day! haha. Love the giant card prop too. I'm sure she'll have a blast in her costume.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure what is more adorable, the girl or the dress!
    I'm a new follower.
    Janet @ www.up-anchorsetsail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE how you've added ruffles to the apron, Annie!!! The whole outfit is simply adorable. I'm glad you were able to sew an Alice outfit, instead of a cheetah or a tiger. Thanks so much for the link back...

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is one ADORABLE Alice to be sure- you did a fabulous job on that pretty dress. What a lucky little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my what an adorable costume!! It looks fabulous... and your little Alice is going to be the talk of the neighborhood:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your feature, I can see Momo is a true fashionista and she could star Alice any day now:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a gorgeous costume!! YOur photos are just as gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful! My daughter has loved "Alice" since she was two. We have done so many variations over the years. "Alice" is timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an adorable Alice costume! She looks so cute. Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful dress and pictures,your little girl is so sweet :) Thanks for linking up to Creative Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello. Would you consider letting me use the picture of momo to give ideas to children for dressing up as Alice in Wonderland for my theatre performance next year?
    Best wishes
    Rosie
    info@cambridgetouringtheatre.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...