Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Mardi Gras Tutu Dress for Little Momo


The party season continues for us...with Mardi Gras fun!!
I actually did not think of going to Mardi Gras until two weeks ago.  I have been to Mardi Gras loooooong time ago back when I was in college, and I did not enjoy it.  Drunken people in crowded space, cold air at night, awful smell...the Mardi Gras scene was just not for me.   So I never thought Mardi Gras was something we would take our little girl to.  But then I heard about "Family Gras Day", Sunday family-friendly fun day.  I thought Momo might enjoy the parade, so we decided to go check it out.  

Well I could not resist the occasion to dress up my little girl in tutu dress... I got Mardi Gras color purple, green, and gold tulle and made the tutu dress.
I also made the purple shirt to wear with the dress.  The best peasant dress/top tutorial can be found here.  But I did not use their measurement this time.  I was using cotton blend knit fabric, so I based the measurement on Momo's store-bought T-shirt.
I planned to make a purple shrug too, but did not have time for it...but the weather was just so perfect on Sunday, a jacket was not needed!

I made the tutu dress just like I made the Autumn Fairy Tutu Dress, by tying the strips of tulle to the elastic loop.  I used somewhere between 15 to 20 yards of tulle, cut into 6 inches strips.  The fabric width was just about perfect as the dress length when tied to the 1 inch elastic. For each tie, I layered 2 pieces of strips.  

I really wanted to make this into halter style, but the ribbon did not hold the dress well.  I also did not want to make the dress too tight on chest area and make it uncomfortable for Momo.  So I tied 4 pieces of gold satin ribbons to be tied at the shoulders.  I used the same ribbon to tie at the waist over the dress, to reduce the volume above waist.  But I don't think this mattered much, since Momo is a little girl and her torso is not very long...

The hair clip is made with feathers and plastic rhinestone I got from a craft store.  


The dress was a hit, Momo got so many complements.   I  thought I would see more little girls wearing Mardi Gras color tutus out there, though maybe their tutus would not be as big as Momo's.  At the festival, I saw 3 others with the Mardi Gras tutus...one was a bulldog, she was also wearing beads and quite cute.  Two others were high school boys in the marching band.  I think it is safe to say Momo was the cutest out of the four...well maybe the dog-lovers disagree ;)


Well it was a great day.  The weather was perfect, and the Family Gras was a clean family-friendly fun.  There was a pirates music band, and although Momo was a little scared of the pirates, she liked to dance to the music.  
The parade floats gave away the beads, and they had plenty of beads.  We got more beads than we ever expected, so hubby and I wore them too...  It was fun to watch Momo scream "PLEEEEASE!" and "MY TURN!!!"  trying to get the beads :)  



                 
  Our Delightful Home    Fluster Buster          Photobucket          the Grant life        Freedom Fridays PIN MEme

18 comments:

  1. Such a bright, fun, colourful outfit, Annie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great day! Mardi Gras reminds me on our Carnival festivities that we are having this week.
    Compliments on your tutu, great job, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that ever cute! Great job! I'd like to invite you to participate in my Pin Me Linky Party. It goes Fri-Tue. I allow up to 3 links each week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE tutus! Yours is super cute. Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute outfit and Momo is darling. It's wonderful that there is a family friendly Mardi Gras celebration. That sounds like my style, too.
    Visiting from My Turn for Us~Freedom Friday.
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! We found you via Just us four - Pinworthy Projects Party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up! I am following now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found you from Diana Rambles Party! I'm your newest follower via GFC. I host Fluster Creative Muster Party on Wednesdays and I would love it if you would come by and party with us. Hope to see you there!

    Hugs, Smiles, and Blessings,

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! I am your newest GFC follower, and found you via 'Show Me What You Got Hop'. Have a terrific day!
    Angie G.
    http://mycraftycollections.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful dress :) thanks for linking up with us at Creative Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! Featuring you today from last week's Pinworthy Projects party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 15-20 yards of tulle...no wonder that is an awesome tutu!! Sounds like a fun day and it shows in your fun photos! You make beautiful clothing for your beautiful girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun outfit, would be a great addition to our dress-up trunk. Thanks for sharing at Fluster's Creative Muster. Looking forward to seeing what you link up next week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome tutu! I love the big tutu style! And the colors were perfectly chosen! Fun seeing you in the pic too - cute one of the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So fun!!! I love all of the adorable clothes you make for your little girl. New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job - this is such a lovely little colorful tutu - perfect for Mardi Gras!

    I thought you and your readers may be interested in a creative costume contest over at http://www.halloweenhero.com/costume-contest-2013.html - the best part is the $250 Grand Prize.

    Keep the great ideas coming - they're very fun to look at and helpful at the same time!

    Best,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job - this is such a lovely little colorful tutu - perfect for Mardi Gras!

    I thought you and your readers may be interested in a creative costume contest over at http://www.halloweenhero.com/costume-contest-2013.html - the best part is the $250 Grand Prize.

    Keep the great ideas coming - they're very fun to look at and helpful at the same time!

    Best,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...