Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Tiny Sakura Paper Fan Dress for Little Momo (and Me!)


I was hoping I would get a lots of sewing done this spring, but it is just not happening.  I have several patterns I want to try, but I do not have enough time to try them all.  So I picked one pattern that I REALLY wanted to try.  This dress pattern is Ana Maria Horner's Paper Fan Dress.


The dress has large pleats in the front, and small pleats in the back (though it is hard to see them in the photos...dark color and small flower print do not help either).  The cross-over back has buttons, making the look of the back very interesting.
I used the Japanese fabric I bought online.  It has tiny Sakura (Cherry Blossoms) all over it, accented with gold outlines.  
Size 3T is a little too large for Momo.  Momo weighs less than 30lbs, but I made it in 3T so she can grow into it.  I do like the length of the dress.  I attached the buttons where the pattern indicated, but I should have moved them further apart for Momo.  I will probably attach a small snap button so the dress will not flip open.  
The pattern and instruction was clear and easy to understand.  There was a step telling me to sew dot to dot...but I could not find the dots on the pattern.  Watching the highlights video helped me to work on that step..

A duck jumped out of the water, came to say Hi...(not really...Momo had a small bag of gummy candies in her hand, and the duck thought it was his treat...we actually had to run away from him.  Aggressive duck!!!)
I wanted to make a matching dress or skirt, for "Mommy and Me" look.  But when I wrapped the fabric on myself, I realized the tiny flower print with gold accents was not for me.  It just was not flattering.  So I made a top instead.  I used SImplicity 2594 pattern, view C minus the tie belt.  I skipped the belt because I knew this top was not going to be very long.  I was thinking to re-size it to fit my body better, then realized I could not because I was not using a stretchable fabric. Because of that I also made the armholes larger, otherwise I could not have worn it... So the fit is not really good...but I am willing to try the patter again, using stretchable fabric next time ;)

As usual, Momo wanted to dance...she does not care if we are in public ;)  Momo's favorite movie right now is Beauty and the Beast, and she likes to pretend to be Belle while making ME the Beast...  Well for my little princess, I will be the Beast.






Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



11 comments:

  1. Adorable, Annie! And I love the matchiness of it. I did matching shirts with my daughter last summer and I love wearing them with her. Your little Momo looks so sweet in her dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post - mama and a little girl :) so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Japanese fabric, Annie!!! I can see why a whole dress for an adult would be too much, but as a top, it looks great. The little dress is beautiful. Love the photos of you both walking and dancing in the park!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully done! I hope you find time in your busy spring to make another you've been dreaming of. Sweet fabric, great pattern (love Annamaria Horner). Lynaea @ <a href="http://everydaybloom.com/in-the-pink-apron/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both look beautiful :) Thanks for sharing with us at Creative Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! I love the photographs also! Thank you for sharing! I’d love to have you visit me at Get Your Crap Together! We have a Pattern Party from the 1st of the month to the 10th and would love you to check it out. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Her dress is darling, and your top is great too! What great photos too! I bet Momo thinks you are a rock star for making her such precious little outfits!

    You are lucky to live in Texas...it's hard to get much selection here in Oklahoma! I'm going back to Dallas first chance I get:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. THis is sooo stinking adorable.. I just adore the fabric and the pattern is beautiful!
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...