Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Hawaiian Halter Dress for Little Momo


After taking a few weeks of sewing break, I am really in a mood to sew something.  So I opened up the box of stashed fabric, and let Momo pick the fabric she liked.  She picked this purple and white Hawaiian print.  This was kind of an unexpected pick, but I know why she chose this one...it is all about color purple for Momo right now.  Purple is her favorite color, well, for now.
I bought the fabric online a while ago.  It is a very thin shirting fabric.  I only had 1 yard, but that was just enough to make a light and flow-y summer dress needed to survive the Texas summer.

I liked the criss-cross front summer dress I made last summer, so decided to make a new one.  Tracing the last year's dress, I just made the bodice pieces slightly bigger.  Then using a scrap fabric, I made up the fabric pattern to try on Momo.
The top pieces basically look like this.  I cut and adjusted the length, curves, etc till I felt the pieces fit Momo when worn as halter top.

I sewed the bodice pieces together with lining, and I kind of experimented as I sewed.  For the skirt part I did not want to add lining, so made a full skirt with enough gathering.  I used 2 pieces cut salvage to salvage.

Momo approved -she loves her new purple dress!

And I love it when she starts dancing :)

I inserted 2 pieces of elastics in the back.  I cut the elastics too long because I did not want to make the dress too tight and comfortable.  But the halter dress would not stay put if it is not just the right size... I ended up cutting the side open to adjust the elastics after the dress was completed.   For my little girl, 8 inches long elastics were enough.  Maybe next time I should use elastic thread and try shirring?

Momo loves playing bubbles...  Making bubbles are "must-do" for her when we go to a park.   She would make many big bubbles...

...and then run after them to pop them.






Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



16 comments:

  1. Such a pretty dress! You did a great job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Annie! Both dress and Momo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Elastic always seems to need to be a lot smaller than what you would think for halters. I am scared to cut them too small because it isn't like you can lengthen it, but I almost always end up shortening them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love for you to share this at my linkup http://myfashionforwardblog.com/all-things-pretty-13/

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so sweet, Annie!!! Love Little Momo's fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, I've featured your dress today...
      http://www.threadingmyway.com/2013/06/threading-your-way-features_22.html

      Delete
  6. Lovely dress!
    Found you on Creative Mondays

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Annie, I'm loving seeing that precious little girl in her purple dress. My granddaughter loves purple,too. Beautiful dress and sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Annie, what a darling little dress for Momo! You did a great job on it and she looks so happy twirling around and having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. adorable!! I love the fabric and that its thin... perfect for the heat. Emily @ Nap-Time Creations Pinned!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks awesome!!! We would love it if you would link up at our linky party:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/two-girls-and-a-party-link-up-22/
    Live every Wednesday to Sunday.
    Hosted by:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    http://thissillygirlslife.com/ Dana @ This Silly Girl's Life
    We hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable! The fabric is so light and pretty! Thanks for linking up at All Things Pretty! Hope you come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's fun to let them choose fabricc sometimes isn't it? Really like the style of this one! -rachel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beauiful dress :)

    Thanks for sharing with us at Creative Mondays ...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...