Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sunflower Summer Dress for Little Momo


The 2nd summer dress for Momo this season is...a Sunflower sundress!
The fabric is not cotton. It is a synthetic fabric, very light weight and wrinkle-resistant, but not see-through.  I don't think this print can be called vintage, but it does have old-fashioned feel to it.  So I wanted to use a pattern with the same old-fashioned feel.


I used a pattern from a Japanese sewing magazine, CUCITO, last summer's edition.   The skirt looked a little too short, so I lengthened it.  But I think with this design and the fabric choice, shorter skirt would have been cuter.  I cannot make a decision to cut the skirt shorter though...I kind of like how longer skirt makes Momo look taller.

I was going to make a pleated skirt like the magazine shows, but when I found out my pleated skirt piece and bodice piece did not match, I just made it into a gathered skirt.  Re-measuring and calculating the pleats width was not something I wanted to do at 3am, my usual sewing time ;)

This dress has the ties sewed between the front and back bodice pieces.  I like this look, but trying not to accidentally sew on the ties while constructing the bodice was a little annoying :(

The back has 2 pieces of elastics inserted.  It was very odd, but the length of the elastics the instruction was calling for was about 1/2 of the actual length I used.  I just made a dress with elastics in the back, so I knew how long the elastics needed to be.  And it is not like Momo is big...
The front bodice is not a perfect fit for Momo.  Next time I will have to adjust the bodice better.

The straps have button holes in the back.  I could probably make new button holes next year and she can still wear it.


I took Momo out to the field of Indian Blankets for this photo shoot...because I could not find a field of Sunflowers...;)  Momo loved being in the flower field and did not want to leave.  This little girl loves flowers!






Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



14 comments:

  1. You have such a talent! Love this dress too! She's one lucky little girl. I wish I could sew for my daughter. Maybe one day I will learn. And the hat is so cute! Thanks for linking up at All Things Pretty. Come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! Those photos are just precious.
    Heidi @ handmadefrenzy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. sooo cute! every time I see your newest post makes me wonder "what did she make for little girl this time?"
    best regards to you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi there, came by via All Things Pretty - I am so impressed with your sewing skills! What a gorgeous dress, and I actually prefer longer lengths, I somehow find them sweeter on little girls than short ones.

    http://www.mamalikesprettythings.blogspot.co.uk
    http://www.mama-andmore.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel about doing the Maths for pleats, Annie. Gorgeous dress and gorgeous photos in the field of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such go gorgeous dress!!
    I love the pattern - perfect for summer, and loooooove the shape

    I remember all the little dresses my Mom use to make me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do think it has a vintage feel to it. I love how you did her hair too! The sunflower is so sweet! I also loved your Hawaiian print dress. Little girls are the best to sew for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! And I love the sunflower bow with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely cute! Congrats on the "most viewed" on Nap Time Crafters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the little dresses you sew for your daughter! I sewed for my daughters when they were young! Sew fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the material, aww great dress :)

    Thanks for sharing with us at Creative Mondays ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so pretty and Momo looks great in it! Great pics as well. You are one of the features today at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week's party. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-57.html Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the print of the fabric. Momo is such a lucky little girl. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...