Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Felt Cupcakes for Little Momo



It has been a while since I have made any play food for my daughter Momo.  While she loves to wear dresses I make for her, I know she would love more to have toys...so I took a dress making break and made those felt cupcakes. 


My first tries were the rolled cupcakes I had seen here: cupcake pincushions.
I rolled up felt and fleece to make those cupcakes.  The tutorial shows how to make the cups using an old sweater.   I liked the look of the sweater cups, but the shape did not hold well when they were played as toys. So here the cups were made with felt cut in circle.
While I thought those are cute, I could not decorate them the way I wanted.  So here is what I did to make more cupcakes:
Using paper cupcake liner as the pattern, I cut the felt pieces.

Sew the two pieces together, cut off the excess.

Cut a felt in circle, sew along the edge just like making a yo-yo, fill with poly-fil to make a cake.
Place a piece of cardboard in the cup, fill with more poly-fil and then top with the cake piece.

I like decorating the cakes with whipping creams.  Talented Japanese crafters have been making very realistic looking felt food, especially the desserts.  I cannot remember the exact source but I learned  how to make a whipping cream decoration from them long time ago.
Cut felt in circle and then shape it as shown.  Sew the tips together, fill with a small amount of poly-fil before closing it.
Here is a better picture of how to sew the tips together.


Here is how to make strawberries:
Cut felt as shown, sew the straight edges together.

Fill it and close the opening, add French-knot stitches as the seeds.
I made a carrot in the same way, I just added some green felt pieces when closing the opening.


The cake stand is made from a plastic plate and a cup glued together.

 Those cupcakes are huge hit with Momo...she loves playing princess tea party :)






Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



14 comments:

  1. Completely adorable!! Genius- using the cupcake liner as a pattern. You are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I looked at the first photo, I thought the cakes were real. I agree totally with Amy... very, very clever to use the cupcake liner as a pattern, Annie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've featured your cupcakes today, Annie...
      http://www.threadingmyway.com/2013/07/threading-your-way-features_20.html

      Delete
  3. amazing work, Annie! it is sooo beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!
    Awesome post!
    I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven't already this week. Your favorite posts, most popular, recent or new! The party is open every Thursday night and closes Wednesday's at midnight. Followed by (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/.
    I would be honored if you join us and follow to stay connected Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Momo is precious and the cupcakes are adorable. Little girls and tea parties are lovely to see and remember.

    We would like to invite you to party with us at 5:00 on Thursday evenings at the new Blog Strut Peacock Style Link Party to share your very creative and clever idea. Come on over!! http://wp.me/P2Vf55-1K

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love LOVE felt foods!
    I tried making a cupcake once, and it was so lopsided,that I've given up on it. I love the tutorial, will have to try it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are ADORABLE! I would never have the patience to do that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are precious! How fun would it be to have a tea party with these! Pinned it. Great job and thanks for sharing at All Things Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww love these, they are so sweet, pinning now :)

    Thanks for shsring at Creative Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops I ment sharing ha,

      featuring your post this week at the hop, hope you link up this week :)

      Delete
  10. These are incredible!!
    Very creative and very very cute

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...these are adorable! Such perfection in your work. xxJessica

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...