Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Ruffle Summer Dress for Little Momo


The third summer dress for little Momo is...a ruffle dress!  
The dress pattern is: Little Ruffle Top Dress or Romper -Make It and Love It

I have been meaning to try this pattern ever since I saw the dress.  The dress pattern pieces and instruction are simple and very easy to follow.  It is as easy as a pillowcase dress.
But no matter how simple and easy, the measurement must be done right...  The tutorial gives pattern measurement for size 5-6.  I thought taking 3 inches off in length might make it good for size 3T, but it was still too big for my little girl.

Here is my first attempt of the dress...as you can see, the dress turned out to be too big.  Good thing is I tested out using $1.5/yard fabric ;)   I do like this flower fabric, but it does make the dress look like a night gown...probably not a good choice for this design.  Momo still loved the dress though...because it is pink ;)

 So for my second attempt, I took 1 more inch from the main piece, and another 1 inch from the bottom ruffle piece.  I kept the width the same 40 inches the tutorial gives for size5-6, because I thought the extra volume would be cute.

When I was making this second dress, I chose to insert the chest elastic between the main piece and the ruffle piece.  How to do this is explained well here: Claire-Skirt: Blooms and Bugs
I thought this makes the elastic casing look less bulky, and helps the top ruffle get separated from the main piece and fluffed better.  Also this method hides the edge between the two pieces.  Since I do not have a serger, anytime I can hide the edges I would do it ;)

I took Momo to the Butterfly Center this weekend.  Momo enjoyed it, and even got a butterfly to land on her hand once.  But it was hard to photograph her in there.  The place was very crowded and Momo would not stay still.  I found it was easier to take pictures of butterflies than Momo...
See? Butterfly would pose for me ;)


As for the first attempt dress that is too big...I have not decided whether I should take it apart and re-do, or just leave it as is.  I am kind of feeling too lazy to fix it, so probably leave it for another year or two till Momo gets bigger...





Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



11 comments:

  1. I've got a too big outfit that's just sitting around too...I'm thinking I'll just wait til it fits:) I love the bold floral you chose, it looks just precious on little Momo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like this second print better, but then, everything looks great on her :)
    have a nice summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Annie! The dress turned out very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute dress! I like the brown floral fabric!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute dress! The ruffle around the top is just perfect! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! I love ruffles on little girls dresses!! I need to try one! I linked up a dress too! I'd love for you to visit and check it out. :)
    Gina @ Gina's Craft Corner
    http://ginascraftcorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bright, bold fabric, Annie... a gorgeous dress!!! I'd just leave the too big dress and wait till it fits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've featured your dress today, Annie...
      http://www.threadingmyway.com/2013/08/threading-your-way-features.html

      Delete
  8. What darling dresses and sweet little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great dresses, love the 2nd ones pattern :) wow great butterfly picture too.

    Thanks for sharing with us at Creative Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! I featured it today from last week's Pinworthy Projects Party!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...