Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Girly Layered Skirt for Little Momo


I had some leftover fabric after making a Ruffle Summer Dress.  This is the fabric I used for the test-run dress.  It did not work out well as the ruffle dress, because I made the dress too big and also the fabric design did not go well with the dress design.  But I still like this flower print, and I know Momo loves pink.  I had just enough to make a skirt, so added some leftover tulle and I made a really girl-y layered skirt!


The skirt pattern is: Claire Skirt -Blooms and Bugs.  This easy-to-follow, clear tutorial shows how to make a layered skirt with pretty details suing bias tape, ric-rac and multiple pull-ups.   I especially like the way the skirt is constructed, with the elastic is inserted between the two layers.
This is actually the third one I have made using this tutorial.  The last one I made is here.  Just like the last one I made, I sewed 2 rows of tulle ruffles to the inner layer.

I actually was not going to add the pull-up details this time and thinking to make a simple layered skirt.  But the outer layer was not flowing nicely, so I decided to add just one pull-up.   I used the  pull-up technique from this tutorial: Cinched Up Skirt-Craftness is not Optional  I added this after the skirt construction was completed.   It would have been easier to do this before inserting the elastic...but anyway, I like how pretty the pull-up with ribbon looks!


I want Momo to wear this skirt next spring, so I intentionally made the skirt a little larger.  The fabric print just makes me think of spring.


The flower crown is made from the 70% off clearance flowers.   I just cut them up, tied the stem part together with wire and wrapped the wire/stems with floral tape.  I do not think this is the right way to make the flower crowns, but it is good enough as Momo's dress-up toys.






Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



12 comments:

  1. I love this skirt! I never have much luck with tulle, so I excited to check out the tutorial you linked. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, sorry I was not clear. The skirt tutorial is great with other pretty details, but it does not use tulle. That is something I added myself. I cut the tulle in full width, folded in half and gathered them to make ruffles. I used 4 of those in 1 row. If I had longer piece of tulle, I could have used less pieces. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Dear Annie, Just came from All Things Pretty. First, let me just say, beautiful blog. So happy to have found it. I love this skirt. You did such a lovely job on it...I miss the days when my little ones were that age. I know if my daughter was little again she would absolutely adore this skirt! Now following. Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, another cute creation! The skirt looks like so much fun to wear! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just gorgeous! I love the t-shirt you paired with it too, very "coachella" for toddlers, lol. That skirt is something I would wear! You did a great job, I can't believe I just found your blog! I'm now following you.

    Jessica from www.domesticblisssquared.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so talented! This is absolutely too cute! Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such an adorable skirt!!
    You remind me of my Mom - she used to make all my clothes when I was little :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH my goodness you are quite talented...I only wish I could sew half as good. This is just adorable and your little girl is even more so! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww such a sweet skirt, you did a great job here :)

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays,,,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable skirt! I love all beautiful pics of darling girl!Thanks so much for sharing! Would love to have you visit my blog sometime.
    Have a fabulous week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you modify patterns to come up with your own creations, Annie. Love the pull up!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...