Week 2 of Project Run and Play theme is Candy-inspired outfits! Candy Inspired...when I read the theme, several ideas popped into my head...a cotton candy inspired pastel colored bubble dress, jelly beans inspired dots and pompom dress, tootsie roll inspired brown romper... but the very first "candy" I thought about was a candy cane. Just a classic, red and white peppermint candy. Rather than going all crazy and making a Halloween-suitable dress, I decided to stick with my first thought and make something simple.
Lately I have been thinking of making something more wearable, something for Momo's everyday wear. So when I saw Hangout Hoodie from Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop, I thought it was perfect. I decided to make my first hangout hoodie dress for this challenge.
To make the outfit "sweet" for the candy challenge, I attached a heart button to the hoodie and heart patches to the leggings.
Momo got the candy cane theme right away when she saw the dress. She asked, "Is this Christmas dress?" ;)
I got the red-and-white striped knit fabric from Jo-Ann. I would have liked wider stripes and found one I liked online, but I needed the fabric right away so this was my choice. I also got the similar light-weight red knit to use for the binding. For the sleeve cuffs, I used cotton interlock I had in my stash.
I do not have much experiences sewing with knits, so I took my time and sew carefully. My previous knit experiments are simple T-shirt refashions only, and only thing I did differently for those was to use a ball-point needle. For this project I tried stretch stitch, over-lock stitch, and using twin needle for the first time. I learned that the twin needle was like a magic, but automatic tension may not work (well at least did not on this project). Over-lock stitches were not as pretty as serged seams, but looked a lot better than zigzag stitches.
According to the hangout hoodie size chart, my little 3-year-old's chest size was size 2T. Loose fitting would be more comfortable to wear in summer, and I wanted Momo to wear long T-shirt underneath for the layered look in winter, so I cut size 4T.
Dress length was just about right for this design. I normally prefer longer dress length, but above-knee length looks great to pair with leggings.
I found the V-neck a little too deep. This should not be a problem when wearing an undershirt. But next time if I meant the dress/shirt to be worn without, I may need to adjust the v-neckline so I can add the button higher.
I made those leggings to go with the tunic dress. I have been meaning to make those hearts patched leggings ever since I saw them here.This was my first time making leggings. I was afraid of making too-tight leggings that Momo could not wear, so I made them loose fit. I used the same cotton interlock I used for the dress cuff. I could not make the leggings longer because of the limited fabric I had left :(
I could not help myself making Candy Hair Accessories for Momo's head...
I tried many new things for this challenge. I would definitely make a hangout hoodie and leggings again. I also want to sew more with knits, obvious comfy choice for kids clothes.
Linking up to those fun parties.