Monday, September 16, 2013

Candy Cane Inspired Hangout Hoodie for Little Momo


Week 2 of Project Run and Play theme is Candy-inspired outfits!  Candy Inspired...when I read the theme, several ideas popped into my head...a cotton candy inspired pastel colored bubble dress, jelly beans inspired dots and pompom dress, tootsie roll inspired brown romper... but the very first "candy" I thought about was a candy cane.  Just a classic, red and white peppermint candy.  Rather than going all crazy and making a Halloween-suitable dress, I decided to stick with my first thought and make something simple.



Lately I have been thinking of making something more wearable, something for Momo's everyday wear.  So when I saw Hangout Hoodie from Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop, I thought it was perfect.  I decided to make my first hangout hoodie dress for this challenge.

To make the outfit "sweet" for the candy challenge, I attached a heart button to the hoodie and heart patches to the leggings. 

Momo got the candy cane theme right away when she saw the dress.  She asked, "Is this Christmas dress?" ;)

I got the red-and-white striped knit fabric from Jo-Ann.  I would have liked wider stripes and found one I liked online, but I needed the fabric right away so this was my choice.  I also got the similar light-weight red knit to use for the binding.  For the sleeve cuffs, I used cotton interlock I had in my stash.

I do not have much experiences sewing with knits, so I took my time and sew carefully. My previous knit experiments are simple T-shirt refashions only, and only thing I did differently for those was to use a ball-point needle.  For this project I tried stretch stitch, over-lock stitch, and using twin needle for the first time.  I learned that the twin needle was like a magic, but automatic tension may not work (well at least did not on this project).   Over-lock stitches were not as pretty as serged seams, but looked a lot better than zigzag stitches.

According to the hangout hoodie size chart, my little 3-year-old's chest size was size 2T.  Loose fitting would be more comfortable to wear in summer, and I wanted Momo to wear long T-shirt underneath for the layered look in winter, so I cut size 4T.  

Dress length was just about right for this design.  I normally prefer longer dress length, but above-knee length looks great to pair with leggings.   

I found the V-neck a little too deep.  This should not be a problem when wearing an undershirt.  But next time if I meant the dress/shirt to be worn without, I may need to adjust the v-neckline so I can add the button higher.  

I made those leggings to go with the tunic dress.  I have been meaning to make those hearts patched leggings ever since I saw them here.
This was my first time making leggings.  I was afraid of making too-tight leggings that Momo could not wear, so I made them loose fit.  I used the same cotton interlock I used for the dress cuff.  I could not make the leggings longer because of the limited fabric I had left :(

I could not help myself making Candy Hair Accessories for Momo's head...


I tried many new things for this challenge.  I would definitely make a hangout hoodie and leggings again.  I also want to sew more with knits, obvious comfy choice for kids clothes.  





Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



27 comments:

  1. this project turned out sooo great! I love your choice of fabrics, and your idea, as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable! I love that hood. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun & practical, I bet she loves wearing this outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I take a look at PR&P sew along photos I always feel like checking your blog to see more photos of your creations...
    And, once again, I loved this one!
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SO cute! I love the hearts on the pants!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very cute & comfy looking dress is always a win!

    Mae

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is my favorite outfit ever! Very precious! She's gonna wear that all the time! The knee pads- my fave!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So adorable! You are on fire these days. I want every outfit you make.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The outfit is so cute and comfy! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just adorable, Annie and it'll be perfect for everyday wear!!! Twin needles are great, aren't they...

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute!! Love the matching heart leggings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the addition of the heart button on the hoodie! Adorable outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's really cute! Love the little hair accessories, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet outfit for hanging out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. super cute! I love the red... I can see the Christmas comment :o) I linked up a Milky Way inspired outfit for my son... SO much fun! Emily@nap-timecreations

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable! I love the heart button and the hearts on the leggings! I'm pinning this! Too cute!!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh! These are too cute. The girl was right you can let her wear these on Christmas as well.
    I love your heart knee pads and button, they pop up the cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super sweet! Pinned to my sew cool board:) I posted upcycled Halloween Banner to Pin Worthy. New follow for your page. Stop by and follow back:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's darling! I like the button paired with your legging knees! Double needles are one of my favorite knit tools :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. She is so cute! I love the little heart additions...and the details!!!
    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for joining us with All Things Pretty hope to see you on Thursday at My Fashion Forward Blog

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was a candy striper, so I love this look so much! You always pick such great fabrics! Thanks for sharing it at the Pinworthy Project Party.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a sweet outfit, love the hearts on the legging :)

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...