Monday, September 9, 2013

Gauze Popover Sundress for Little Momo


New season of Project Run and Play  has started!!!

I was not sure if I will be able to sew along, but this is one of my favorite parties, I had to try!  The first challenge is Oliver + S Popover Sundress remix.  It is a dress pattern that has been on my to-sew list for a while, so this challenge was a must do.  I liked the simple & sweet A-line shape of the dress, so I did not want to change that.  I decided to use a lightweight gauze fabric that was in my stash and make one last summer dress for this year. 


I used white gauze, which was also in my stash, as the lining.  It was cut 2 inches longer than the original pattern.  I wanted gathers for the outer layer of green/blue gauze, so the pattern piece was widened.    Then I thought it would be fun to have opening in the front, so the front piece was cut into two, with curves.
I also widened the front yoke piece to add gathers.

I cut size 4T for my little 3-year-old, thinking of the next summer.  But I should have paid more attention...this is supposed to be a loose-fitting dress.  The pattern description says so.  Size 4T turned out to be too big for my little girl.  After completing the dress and trying it on Momo, it was clear that she could not wear it this year (or even maybe next year) without fixing it...  So I ended up taking off the straps to adjust the size.  I cut the sides to make the dress narrower, and inserted elastic pieces to the yokes.
I originally made the shoulder straps wider, thinking bigger bows would be cuter.  But they just did not seem right.   When I attached back the straps, I made them narrower just like the original pattern.

I lost another night's sleep, but was able to finish the dress before Momo's visit to the zoo!

It was another hot day, and the summer dress was just what she needed.  It is lightweight and flow-y, does not keep this little girl from running and jumping (she gets so excited when we visit the zoo...)



I know it was not a very creative remix, but I am happy that I finally tried this pattern.  I can see myself using this pattern again, next summer.





Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



16 comments:

  1. It's pretty creative to me! I've not seen one with gauze, or with the open layer. The color suits her to a T! It also seems very cool and comfy. We did the zoo a few days ago and it was awfully hot! A wonderful, final summer dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were thinking the same thing! My version has that overlapped front with a curved hem! Great minds think alike! I love the gauze by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO pretty! Nice work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the two layers and the curved top layer, Annie... very creative and I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOOOVE this remix, Annie! It is perfect. I need to get my hands on some gauze. I, too, was up last night working on this pattern, but I really didn't remix at all (hope to post soon). I just wanted something for school photos this morning. :) Anyway, love your creativity, once again!
    PS: our daughters are the same age. When does yours turn 4?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the flowiness of the layers and the gauze! Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet! I love the color and flowiness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dress is so sweet and I love the color. I just visited the Houston Zoo with my girls too, I recognized the elephant cage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dress is lovely! I love the blue on top. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how floaty and soft this dress is... it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how effortless and flowy the dress looks. So summery! Great remix!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is a lovely little dress! It has such a nice flow to it, and looks great on your pretty little girl! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so breezy and beautiful!!!! Lovely work on a lovely little girlie!
    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  14. The gauze is lovely!! What a pretty little dress on an adorable little girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the light airy feel of this dress. It just looks comfy and very feminine at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...