Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Plaid Drop Waist Dress for Little Momo


Week 3's theme for Project Run and Play is...MAD for Plaid.

I almost missed this week's challenge.  Last week I was summoned for jury duty, and although I was dismissed after waiting for several hours, I had to spend the next 2 days making up my work.   And I did not want sewing to keep me from having fun with my daughter on the weekend.  So that left me with less time to sew.
I already had some plaids fabric I was planning to use for fall/winter dresses.  It is still so hot out there and we do not quite need fall clothing for maybe 2 more months, but I thought I could try to make one of the dresses right now. And luckily, I was able to finish it!


The dress is Look#7 from Five and Ten Designs.    This dress design was one of the reasons I bought this pattern e-book!

I had leftover flannel shirting fabric after making a fall shirred peasant dress almost 2 years ago. I got the fabric from Jo-Ann and I really liked this classic black and red plaid, but they no longer seem to sell it. My leftover piece was not large enough to make another dress or even a top.  But it was just enough to use as a short skirt for a drop waist dress!
To keep the classic look, I paired it with a black fabric, cotton knit I had in my stash.


Five and Ten Designs only offer even number sizes, so there is no size 3T.  I cut size 4T expecting to be too big for Momo, and yes it was. Before attaching the skirt to the top I took in a little less than 2 inches to make it fit better.  I was thinking of option to wear undershirt in the winter, but I could have and should have taken in more :(

The original design had sash sewed on to the dress, but I added belt loops instead.  The skirt had more volume than I expected, so I needed to be able to adjust it by using the sash belt.  
The original design is fully lined, but I skipped lining and finished the neck and arm holes with bias tape, since I was using knit.  I could have just had round neckline with no buttons, but I decided to go with 1 button closure, because I really wanted to add a plaid button in the back.


Since I was doing a quick photo shoot in the house, I thought it would be fun to add a little headpiece to the outfit.  After seeing How to Make Halloween Fascinators -SEWSNBOWS, I was so in mood for making one of those cute hat fascinators.   I did not have an actual hat to decorate, but Amy suggested I could just make a hat using cardboard and covered it with fabric.  And that is exactly what I did. I cut up a cereal box to make a hat, and covered it with scraps.  

I thought the little hat looked really cute on Momo, but she did not like it much...because it just gets in her way when she wants to 

Dance, and 
Spin.

Oh, well, that was our usual indoor photo shoot.  It always ends with Momo dancing ;)





Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



13 comments:

  1. haha, you should really get some dance lessons for her soon! but I think she already has her own style :)
    lovely dress you made for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww I love the hat too. the whole outfit is adorable! Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hat is ADORABLE. The dress is super cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the whole outfit!! Momo is such a character!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the mixed fabrics and dropped waist give a cute modern spin on a classic plaid! I love the button in the back, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I noticed the cute little fascinator right away! Then a shout out- you have made my day! Your little Mo looks like a doll in this dress- love black and red,and she pulls it off perfectly! She is definitely a dancer:) Every time iget a post from you it's like opening a present- I can wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love dropped waist dresses and yours looks great in the black / red plaid. Cute little fascinator, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! Great way to pair the plaid, and the fascinator is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute! I do believe that little Momo is one of the luckiest little girls around with the cutest wardrobe! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a great job and outcome with all the fabric, time, and pattern issues!!!! It looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww great outfit and hat, sweet pictures :)

    Thanks for linking up today...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That fascinator is so precious with this outfit! Thanks for sharing it at the Pinworthy Project Party!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so beautiful! It's nice to see such a lovely version of this design.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...