Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Shirred Summer Dress for Little Momo


I know the Labor Day has passed, and summer is said to be over...but we live in Texas, where summer is nowhere near over!  Even though we may see sweaters and boots at the stores, I really, really rather not have them yet...

So I made another summer dress for Momo.  I used the same pattern and tutorial I used a couple of weeks ago: Shirred Twirly Dress -From An Igloo



The first one I made is here.  I just LOVE the bow tied in the back and easy-fit of the shirred bodice.   I had to come back and make another one :)


I had this flower print fabric in my stash, and I have been waiting for a perfect dress pattern for it.  The fabric was from Jo-Ann clearance rack, which means I got a great deal but it is now discontinued.   It may not be the latest and the trendiest print, but I still like the beautiful flowers.   Momo saw the fabric and said she loved it too, even before it was made into a dress.  She especially liked the little berries among the flowers.

I stayed with the original dress design and made a gathered skirt with wide hem this time.  I felt this was a better way to show off the beautiful print.  Also this is easier to iron than the tiered skirt I made last time ;)

The skirt is made of 2 pieces cut salvage to salvage, making it very full.


Since this was my second time making this dress, I was careful not to make the same mistakes I made while making the first one.  I measured and double-checked the cut pieces, made sure to use an interface before making the button hole in the back, took time and paid more attention when shirring.
I made the straps wider and the button hole smaller than the last dress, but still found I made the button hole too big.  You really do not need a big button hole for the fabric straps to go through.

Momo enjoyed the Labor Day weekend, running in the park, making a firecracker hat, and watching the fireworks.  Pleasing this little girl is easy.  Sometimes simple fun is all we need :)




Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



18 comments:

  1. This dress is SO cute. I'm amazed at how fast you whip out these dresses! I have not made a dress yet, but you keep inspiring me to go for it! My girls are growing up on me! I don't know which one I like better! I love yellow and black, but I think I really like this flower fabric. Great job!
    Gina @ Gina's Craft Corner

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this little dress and the pattern is so cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! You've outdone yourself again! I find myself wanting to make everything you've made. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love the fullness of the skirt. What a lucky baby girl!! I didn't realize you were in Texas- I'm in Oklahoma! That makes us practically neighbors:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dress! That fabric is fabulous, colors, pattern, everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely...the dress and the little girl...
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dress pattern and fabric are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable dress! Fabulous fabric!Sweet girl! Thanks for sharing!
    Have a fabulous weekend!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dress, the bow, the colours - love the lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always choose the most gorgeous fabrics, Annie. The dress is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this dress! Your fabric selections are perfect for your sweet little girl! I made this dress a couple of years ago but lost the link. When I saw your link I jumped to it, wanting to make another for my little girl, but it seems the permissions have changed. Do you know how I can contact the blogger and get permission to see the tutorial again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot access the site either! I am so sad to find the permission has changed. I was definitely able to view the site last week... I wish I had saved the owner email address info so I could contact her... Though it seemed the blog was not active lately, it was one great blog with wonderful tutorials. I really hope the owner will open the site for everyone to view again!

      Delete
  12. The dress is really pretty! I saw it on Freedom Fridays and clicked this post first to visit for the blog hop. You did a really great job with this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an absolutely perfect dress for a twirling little girl. I love your fabric choice, I know how much I love the clearance fabric at our JoAnns! Thank you for sharing this at the Pinworthy Project Party on Planned in Pencil

    ReplyDelete
  14. Annie, your dress is so pretty! I love the fabric you chose. Thanks for visiting me at OneCreativeMommy.com!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...