Monday, January 20, 2014

Disney Frozen's Elsa Dress for Little Momo

The latest princess dress added to Momo's collection is...Disney Frozen's Elsa dress!


This is the second week of Project Run and Play's Season 8. And this week's theme is "Let's Go to the Movies!"
I actually had another princess dress I have been working on since December, and I planned to submit that for this week's challenge.   But Momo's latest princess obsession is Frozen's Elsa...ever since she saw the movie, she loves everything about Frozen, especially Elsa.  Frozen is actually the very first movie Momo saw in the movie theater, so I felt this was perfect for "Let's go to the movie" theme.  I just had to squeeze this dress into my sewing schedule :)

Momo picked Queen Elsa over Princess Anna...she is captivated by her gorgeous blue gown and her magic power. 

So here it is...Elsa dress!

All the fabrics are from Jo-Ann.  I used the light blue satin with glitter as the main fabric. This was stiffer than crape-back satin I have used for other princess dresses, and did not drape as well, so it is not my favorite choice... though I do like the glitter for this dress.

For the bodice and the sleeves, I used chiffon with sparkles. I thought it kind of looked like snow and was perfect for this dress, especially since it was a clearance fabric ;)  But when I started sewing I sort of regretted  my choice...It frayed a lot and the seam looks like it is about to rip any time.  I just hope Momo will be gently with this dress...

I was actually going to use the same sparkly chiffon for the cape too, but Momo said that Elsa dress has snowflakes... she pays more attentions to the details now.  Yes, Momo...Elsa dress must have the snowflakes.  I remembered seeing the snowflake sheer fabric at Jo-Ann.  I went back to the store, but could not find it.  I checked other fabric stores too, but there were no snowflake fabrics.    I wished I had thought about making this dress before the Christmas... there were no snowflake print fabrics, ribbons, or curtains to be found well after the Christmas :(    What to do...applique?  Fabric paint?  I could not imagine myself doing those things.  Then I got lucky at the 3rd Jo-Ann I went to and found the sheer fabric I have been looking for!  Whew!

Momo still pointed out that there should be snowflakes on the sleeves too.  Oh, Momo...if you are going to be this picky, I think I have to retire from the princess-dress-making :(    Could not add any more snowflakes to the sleeves, but I gave her snowflakes buttons instead.  She did not have problems having extra snowflakes ;)

To make this dress, I drafted a simple A-line dress pattern from a basic dress pattern, cut them into 2 pieces at chest and sew the pieces together.   I used Five and Ten Designs bodice pattern size 4T, and its sleeve patterns.  It was supposed to be a good fit for my almost-4-year-old, but when I finished the bodice and tried it on her, I found it was too tight.  She could wear it now, but I did not want her to outgrow it in the next 3 months.  So I had to re-cut and sew again, but the second try turned out to be too big.  This is the 3rd try...this was supposed to be a quicker princess dress compared to other princess dresses I have sewn, but it ended up a not-so-quick-project.   Momo is growing and all the commercial clothes fit differently too...I just do not know what size is the best for her these days *-*

I finished the back with one button closure.
Sewed on the snowflake fabric around the chest as the cape, with pleats in the back to add the volume.

Since I had to check and re-check the fitting, this dress was not a "surprise" for Momo.  She kept asking where was her Elsa dress...sorry girl, but mommy is a slow sewer ;(

But the dress is finally done!  Go ahead Momo, wear it and dance in it...
I know Momo is not the only girl out there singing "Let It Go" all day long.    The song is catchy, isn't it?
Also Elsa seems to be really popular now, I heard the Disney stores cannot keep the Elsa dress in stock due to the high demands.
During the photo shoot I played the song "Let It Go" over and over, Momo just sang and danced happily :)

The hair clips are scrap-booking embellishments hot-glued to the clips.

After I finished making this dress, Momo asked "Are you going to make Anna dress???" ...Um, Anna's dress is very pretty and it is tempting, but that is not something you should say to someone who just stayed up all night to sew the dress ;)  But here I am thinking that Anna's pink cape with pompom is very lovely...well, maybe next winter...our winter is almost over :) 







Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



23 comments:

  1. Love your Elsa dress! The back is so beautiful. I made one too and searched everywhere for that snowflake fabric but it was sold out. btw, I'm going to post a tutorial on the anna cape this week - you should make one, it's pretty easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww! Gorgeous! My daughter would love this, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful and I can tell she is so excited about it.
    very nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. Sparkle overload. I love it! The little girl in me wants a grown up size!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you found the sheer butterfly fabric, Annie. Another gorgeous dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You create the best princess dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, so beautiful, Annie! I was thinking today that I'd love to make my daughter a princess dress, but I'm not sure where to start. Have you thought about making your own princess dress patterns? I bet there'd be more than a few people interested!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so pretty! I am loving all the Frozen inspired dresses!! I also linked up this week... a {movie} star dress! ;o) Emily@nap-timecreations

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dress is so adorable. I love the little snowflake details everywhere. And c'mon, you gotta make her Anna's dress. You just can't say no to that request.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! I've been wanting to get a dress for my little girl who is almost 3 but of course they are sold out EVERYWHERE! I've though about making her one so this has given me something to go off of. Thank you!

    Hanna Caldwell
    www.stripesandpolkadotsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww this is such beautiful dress, my daughter would love it. She is off to the pictures with her friend for her birthday to go see Frozen :) you did a great job, thanks for shaing at Creative Mondays ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for sharing, pinned and featured this week at the blog hop :)

      Delete
  12. OMGoodness! What a beautiful dress! Little Dedicated loved Frozen as well. Thank you for sharing at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  13. Annie, you are one of the features today at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week's party! http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2014/01/make-it-pretty-monday-week-86.html Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think Momo's request to make Anna's dress is just about the biggest compliment to someone who stayed up all night sewing gorgeous Elsa's dress ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. can I place an order for one?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the inspiration. Just got back from JoAnn's with my own Elsa supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You should really add this to the Frozen Inspired link up: http://patternrevolution.com/blog/2014/3/17/frozen-inspired-sewing-showdown

    ReplyDelete
  18. This dress is lovely! I am going to try to sew one for my daughter too. Can you tell me if you just made this up as you went, or did you use one of her dresses as a starting point? I am new at this and could use any/all advice you are will to share!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You just made my 4 year old grand daughter very happy! I've been looking for information on how to make the Elsa dress!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...