Monday, January 27, 2014

Refashioned Blue Knit Dress for Little Momo


It is the week 3 of Project Run and Play.  And the theme is Refashion Challenge!



What I did for this challenge was very simple.  I took a woman's dress and refashioned it to a little girl's size.  Actually this has been on my to-do list for a while.  About a year ago I was browsing clearance items at Kohl's and I found a casual blue knit dress for $4!

Without hesitation I got one for myself.  Then I thought...at this price why not buy one for Momo and we can do Mommy-and-Me look!   I looked for the largest size available to get most of the fabric, but L size was the largest I could find.  I thought it was good enough to make it into a little girl's simple A-line dress.
Then a year passed...  When refashion challenge was included in season 8 of Project Run and Play, I remembered this forgotten sweater dress!

Instead of making a simple A-line dress, I used  Belinda Dress pattern for this refashion.  Having the same fabric was enough, I thought the dress shape should not be exactly the same as mine.  I did like the cowl neck that came with the dress, so I re-used it.  I used Bimaa Sweater pattern cowl pattern as the guide.  The dress did not have enough fabric to make the big cowl neck like the Bimaa sweater design, so it had to be kept small.

I cut size 5T to ensure Momo can wear this for at least 2 winter seasons.  It turned out to be huge on her.  And even though I had to make the skirt pieces about 2 inches narrower than the pattern due to the limited fabric, the dress is still very roomy.
I almost skipped the front pockets, since there was not enough fabric left on the the original dress to create the pockets.   The solid blue knit I used for the pockets panel is from my stash.  I just did not have anything else that can be refashioned and would match perfectly.
My Belinda dress does not have the cute balloon shape it should...probably because I had to cut the skirt pieces narrower and also because of my fabric choice :(

We went to a park to take the photos.  Momo was not in a mood for pausing for photos... She would either give me an attitude,
...or run away
I know, I cannot blame her.  We had a gorgeous weather on Sunday and she was so excited to be at the park.  She did not want to waste time pausing for mommy's camera!

I did not do anything to my dress, so you can see how the original dress looked like.

Momo's dress may not have turned out as great as I wanted, but I am happy I got Mommy-and-Me look for under $10!  Now I am thinking what else we can dress together  :)






Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



14 comments:

  1. love that stripe in the knit.
    she looks happy with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. I love the pockets! The way that fabric drapes is so unique- I'd have never guessed you used the Belinda pattern. I adore the mommy and me outfits you come up with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's cute on her, I like the idea of adding the bimma cowl! I was really happy with the fit on my first Belinda, just made on the next size up and it is also HUGE on my little one. Though I think you're right fabric really plays a role with fit on this one. -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! And it's a perfect mommy-and-me look! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I like how you mixed the two patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the mummy and me look! That was the perfect pattern to use I think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thaat dress looks so warm and comfortable on your little one. You did a great job refashioning it from the adult dress. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the contrast pockets--her dress looks darling and it's great that it will last her a while!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE that you have the same one :o) Gorgeous on both of you! I love this week's challenge. I also linked up;o) a recycled sweater! Emily@nap-timecreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fabulous refashion, Annie and I love the Mommy and me look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the refashion it till resembles yours but not full on twinners. GREAT job gil. thanks for linking up to the all things pretty party.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...