Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Cherry and Plum Sweet Dress for Little Momo


After 1 month of giving up sewing, I just had to get back on sewing and this is the first dress I made.  I have had this fabric for 2 years and been wanting to make something out of it.  The fabric has small Sakura(Cherry Blossoms) like flowers all over, along with larger flower which looks like plum blossoms.   It is a little wired, because those two do not bloom at the same time.  But together they make very Japaneses-looking fabric, I guess.  Anyway it is perfect for spring!


The dress pattern is: The Sweet and Sassy Dress -Craftiness is not Optional

I made my bodice pattern, which ended up too big.  I was following the tutorial and going to add elastic at the waist, so intentionally made it bigger...but what I did was made it TOO big.  I made it during the night without trying it on Momo along the way.  When she tried it on, it was clear she will not fit into it for maybe another 3 years ;0

Flutter sleeves were too big as well, and they looked really wired.  I thought about leaving it till Momo grow into it...but she says she loves the dress now, it does not mean she will still love it in 3 years.  I completely took it apart and re-did it.

The sleeves were made half the length, and about 3 inches were taken off from the bodice width.
Since the bodice was made more fitted, I skipped the elastic at the waist.

The original dress has pleated skirt.   Momo likes big skirt, so I used 2 pieces cut salvage to salvage, and made a simple gathered skirt.

One thing I am not sure if I did right is the bias tape around the neck.  I sewed it around the neckline catching the raw edges as the tutorial said.  But since the button flap overlaps, it is a little awkward to tie the tape.  I cannot figure out what I was supposed to do, but other than that the tutorial is great.  And the dress design is really sweet.

It has been colder than normal at this time of the year. Weekend rain has not been helpful either.  I hope I can take Momo to a garden wearing this dress soon!







Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



9 comments:

  1. Very pretty, Annie! You definitely work hard to make sure your daughter likes it and can wear it. I admire your persistence. And this will be a beautiful dress to wear all spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colour combinations in this little number. beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable dress! She looks very sweet in it!
    Jennelise

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad bloglovin is deciding to send me your posts today! This dress is sweet! The fabric is very pretty too. I bet when she outgrows it you can cut a little skirt from it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dress, love the colours :) thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for sharing over at the hop :) featuring your post this week :)

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful spring dress. You did such a nice job. It caught my eye at My Turn For Us and I had to come by to see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What gorgeous fabric, Annie, even if the two flowers don't bloom at the same time. Great work altering the dress to make it fit.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...