Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Gray and Yellow Floral Halter Dress for Me!

 I sewed a dress...for ME!!!

For those of you who has been visiting my blog must be used to see my little girl modeling the dresses I sew for her.  I have appeared in couple of posts for mommy and me look, but this is the first time I am writing the entire post just for my dress.  I am kind of proud of myself for sewing this dress, and I thought the dress deserves its own post ;)

I found this gray and yellow floral fabric at my usual shopping spot, Jo-Ann's clearance section last year.  When I shop for fabric I always think of what I can make for my daughter with them, but when I saw this fabric I immediately wanted it for myself.   I am always drawn to floral patterns, and I loved gray and yellow in soft tones in this fabric.  I bought enough to make a dress for both my daughter and myself.  

The fabric is soft and light-weight cotton.  I thought it will be great as a halter dress and did not think of anything else.  So I checked the $1 patterns on sale and picked up Simplicity 1610 Project Runway Collection.

I was not sure how this was going to fit me, so I started out cutting the pieces big.  Soon I realized this woman's pattern seems to run large just like the children's patterns.  So I cut the pieces smaller, and also trimmed the curves at the chest quite a bit since my chest is so flat.   But trimming the chest area was not good enough, I had to trim the entire bodice shorter so it will not hang on me like a grocery store bag...  And after all those fitting and adjusting, the dress is still too large at the chest.  I am using a fashion tape to hold the dress in those pictures.  To fix this issue, I am thinking of replacing the halter strap's button closure with longer straps so I can tie them at the neck, allowing me to fit the bodice tight to my body.
  
The back has an invisible zipper and elastics.  I did not trim enough in the back and it looks bouncy.  The store-bought belt helps to hide it, but that is not the only thing the belt is hiding...
It is also hiding this misaligned bodice line ;)

I meant to make the skirt below knee length, but cut the pieces too long.  I trimmed the length and they were not even, so trimmed again and ended up much shorter then I planned it to be.  Oh, well...at least the skirt pockets came out nicely.

So the dress is not perfect, the straps still needs to be adjusted...but I am finally finished with it and I am proud of myself for taking this challenge.  Sewing for myself was definitely not as easy as sewing for my daughter, but I actually made something I would wear!

 My sidekick needs to make an appearance...  ;)
I am still thinking what I should make for her with this fabric for mommy and me look.  





Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



17 comments:

  1. Such a pretty a versatile dress. It may be used for daytime or nighttime; very nice. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's lovely!! Sewing for ourselves is definitely more challenging. I haven't met anyone yet who is shaped just like the pattern:) I'm proud of you too! And, I think the length is just fine:) bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a fabulous job. The dress looks so lovely on you and I like the length. Very nice pattern choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the dress and the belt! I like where the length hits too, very appropriate to the style :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. bravo for you! you did great! and you look great, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww you did a great job with your dress Annie. Love the fabric you picked :)

    I need to try a pattern now. I made my first dress yesterday but by chance as I was making a skirt but it was to big!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the length of the dress! Well, I like the dress, first of all!! The fabric is very pretty!!
    With the belt you can cover the little mistakes!! No one will notice!!
    Hugs feom Spain!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty! Pinned and shared on twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It absolutely deserves its own post. You go girl! Thanks for linking up to the Feature Friday Linky Party!

    Danielle @ Blissful and Domestic
    www.blissfulanddomestic.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woohoo!!! You look fabulous, Annie!!! From where I'm sitting, it looks perfect. Good on you for sewing for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. visiting from sew many ways, this is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this dress! It looks great on you. You did a wonderful job! I'm still not brave enough to sew for myself yet.

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your dress! It looks great on you and pretty fabric, too. I am also from Texas and love to sew, crochet, knit and workout.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this dress! And it's perfect on you. It's funny how you see all the things you'd change or do differently, but I see a great look. Thanks for linking up at Inspire Us Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...