Friday, May 9, 2014

Kids' Choice Outfit for Little Momo


The last dress I sewed for my daughter turned out to be something she did not like...  She has always been happy everytime I sew her a dress, so hearing "I do not like it" was a surprise and  kind of hurt my feelings :(  Since then I have been working on a new dress, but I am afraid she may not like this one either.  The new dress is almost done, but I decided to put that aside to work on something my daughter will actually love to wear.  After reading about Kids' Choice at Elegance & Elephants, I just had to participate.



Elegance & Elephants

Letting my daughter chose the fabric and design was a bit scary.  I thought she would choose one of those hard-to-sew slippery fabric and ask me to sew a princess dress with gigantic full skirt.   I let her go through my stash, and to my surprise, she chose 2 quilting cottons...and asked for a skirt and a shirt.  Those fabrics she selected had already been made into pillowcases, but they did not get used as pillowcases, so they were put back into my stash.   Momo wanted a twirly skirt, or in her words, a spin skirt.  So I made a full gathered skirt.  
I was not thinking of wearing this top and the skirt together.  I made a tunic top and that limited the skirt's twirl-ability.   Momo was NOT happy at all...

So I let her wear the skirt with a simple T-shirt...

And now she can spin!  Now she is a happy girl :)

The skirt pattern is found here: Twirly Skirt Tutorial
I made the size 100cm.  While the instruction is straight-forward and easy to follow, I had a bit problem with the waist elastic.  The waist tie is supposed to go through inside the waistband casing along with the elastic, but the casing was too narrow.  I had to remove the waist tie from the casing.  I still wanted the side-tie, so I cut them shorter and sewed them on to the casing opening.  


The tunic pattern is here; Leah Tunic -Craftiness Is Not Optional
The tunic has cute slightly puffed little sleeves without cutting separate sleeve pieces, and I have been wanting to try it.  You have to draft your own pattern, and I think I need to re-draft mine because those shoulder/sleeves look a little odd.  But the tutorial is great and the simple tunic design is very cute.  
The tunic has one button closure in the back.  I used fabric loop for the button instead of elastic.

Momo was not thrilled with the tunic top, but she loves the skirt.  She cannot stop spinning in it.  Aw, this is just what I needed...my daughter enjoying the clothes I make for her.  

In my stash I have some more quilting cotton I want to use up.  I should make more skirts for her :)





Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



15 comments:

  1. I think the tunic looks fabulous worn with jeans, Annie!!! Maybe Momo will wear it when the skirt is in the wash. The skirt teamed with the t-shirt looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter, Alyssa, is the same...only swirly will do :)
    You little momo looks adorable in her new swirly skirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two cute outfits! Glad the skirt was win. It looks fun to twirl in :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twirly skirts are always a win! The first time a kid doesn't like something we make; it does sting a little! I'm sorry your feelings were hurt on the last dress. I can tell you from experience: if you hide the hurt feelings and encourage her little opinions, you will get very good at making garments she loves. You ARE very good; but :( it gets harder. After a while, it doesn't phase you if they don't like it. It turns into a fun challenge! I have grown a lot as a seamstress from trying to meet my daughters wishes. Although I don't think sweet Momo will be as demanding and particular as my baby! Thanks for the top tutorial, it's very cute. Tell your little girl she has fabulous taste in fabric! Big hugs,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are both adorable! My daughter would love a twirly skirt too. And I love the idea of letting her choose the fabric. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute idea! Maybe if I try that, my daughter will wear what I make for her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww these look sweet, and great for swirling in :)

    Thanks for sharing over at Creative Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable outfits! The sweet girl seems to be very happy with them!
    Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. so adorable! My daughter is the same way about twirly skirts :)

    I'd love for you to link up to my Feature Friday Linky Party! This post would be a hit! www.blissfulanddomestic.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute! I love the fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What cute pieces! You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love both pieces -- together and as separates. Fabulous work. Thanks for linking up to Inspire Us Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Annie, such a pretty skirt and tunic. Thank you for sharing. You will be one of the features tomorrow at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again tomorrow at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so, so cute - not just the clothes, but your photos in capturing your tiny dancer. I just love this. Visiting from the Dedicated House. :)
    Rita C at Panoply

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...