Friday, June 27, 2014

Patriotic Twirly Dress for Little Momo

We are ready to celebrate July 4th!!


Momo needed a new patriotic dress this year. So I went with her favorite style at this time, a twirly dress!

This dress is a copy of this dress I bought online 2 years ago.  The bodice fits her right now with no room to grow, and the skirt is too short.  So it is time to say good-bye to this one.  But before I let it go, I wanted to re-create this design.  
I traced the original dress bodice, and added seam allowance and enough room to grow for Momo.  Well, I think I over-did it again.  The dress bodice is a too big on her.  
But thanks to the waist tie, the dress can be worn fitted!
The original dress had two small buttons in the back.  I went with two large star buttons.
The fabrics are from Jo-Ann.  It is the same print I used for the Orange Georgia Twirl Dress.  I thought the chrysanthemum print looked like fireworks, perfect for a patriotic dress!
The original dress had 3 panels sewn together.  It was not a full circle skirt, it was more like 3/4 or smaller circle skirt.  I cut a full circle skirt, and while adjusting to the bodice I trimmed about 1/5 circle off.  It still has plenty of twirl power, and I think I may like it better than a full circle.  
The flower was made in the same way as Princess Tiana Crown and Flower.  I just used the scrap fabrics.  You see the huge fabric-covered button in the middle?  It is about 1 1/2 inch diameter. I bought them at a dollar store when I was in Japan (well, since I was in Japan, it was 100yen store) last year.  They are made in the U.S., but I have not seen them at the local craft stores.  I love Japanese dollar stores!

We are looking forward to seeing some beautiful fireworks!
I do not think I will have anything to show until the holiday is over.  So I know it is a little early, but let me say... 

Happy July 4th everyone!





Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



12 comments:

  1. A gorgeous dress :) I love the fact you follow your daughter's likes. I hope she will have a lot of fun twirling in her new dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chrysanthemum prints in the two different colours look so good together, Annie. A beautiful dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, I've featured your dress today...

      Delete
  3. I think you've made a wonderful job at replicating the dress! It's even more beautiful than the model. The flower adds the perfect touch for a girl.
    If it's too large right now, the better. She will be able to wear it for a longer time. Children outgrow their clothes so rapidly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful dress! All details are fabulous! Lovely pics!
    I have a giveaway on my blog to celebrate my 500 followers if you like to participate have a look on http://lovecraft2012.blogspot.pt/2014/07/500-seguidores-oferta-500-folowers.html
    Happy 4th of July!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww Annie, this is such a beautiful dress and so much amazing detail :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking up to Creative Mondays :) Pinned and featuring this week at the hop..

      Delete
  6. This is a gorgeous dress! I wish I was any good at sewing.and brilliant photos of her swirling amd twirling! Hope you had a great 4th July!x #creativemondays

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dress is gorgeous! I love the fabrics, the flower, and the star buttons. I'm pinning this!!! Great work!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ The Submarine Sunday Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the dress! The fabrics were perfect and that bow to match is darling! So glad you were able to use the other dress as a pattern and it looks like she'll get a lot of wear out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just how talented can one person be? Or are you fooling us and are really a "team"?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...