Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Fruity Olivia Top for Little Momo


I am participating Kid's Clothes Week sew along for the first time, since my sewing habits has changed.  I used to be a weekend sewer.  I would stay up all night, usually on Saturday nights, to finish up one project.  But lately I sew few hours in late nights on weekdays.  I may not finish a project in one night, but this way I can check the fitting on my daughter as I sew.   Then on weekends I sleep more to have enough energy to keep up with my energizer daughter.   My sewing habit may change again, but for now this works for me, and can fit to KCW's "sew 1 hour a day for 7 days" challenge better.



I sewed this Olivia Top.  I tried the pattern last month and sewed size 4T.  I could tell it was going to be too big on my skinny girl, but still wanted to see how the average size 4T would fit on her.
I liked the loose fitting and the length, but the neckline was too wide on Momo.

So this time I sewed size 3T with 4T length.  I think size 2T was actually better fit for Momo, but I wanted to give it a room to grow.  It is hard to predict how much and how fast she grows.

I paired the top with a circle skirt I sewed last month.  Though Momo loves the circle skirt, this top needed something else.

So I gave her those skinny pants...much better :)

The fabric is cotton twill and was a leftover from making a snappy top about 3 years ago.  I had just enough to make an Olivia top with short sleeves.  But of course I made a mistake when cutting out the pieces, and the sleeves had to be given up :(
I am happy I used up this scrap while Momo is still little and this kind of print looks cute on her.

I used light weight white cotton for the button placket to go with the heavier twill. Then used red round buttons that resemble cherries, to keep the fruits theme.



This design is great for school wear.  Another great pattern I must make more...maybe in a dress length next time.






Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



7 comments:

  1. Looks great with the skinny jeans, Annie. Isn't it funny how just changing from a skirt to jeans makes all the difference to the overall look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure is a cute top. I hadn't seen that pattern before. I'm off to check it out:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave up trying to predict how fast and how much (and how soon) my daughter might grow ages ago. It is just too unpredictable! I made a dress a size bigger for LM last spring thinking she would grow into it by summer. Wrong! It took her a year to grow into the next size.

    I love the top you have made. The fabric is so cute and bright! The top looks fab with the jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it with the skinny pants. What a great top, smart to size up and give it a little room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my first time visiting (found you on the Inspire Us Thursdays Link-up). I love how cute your top turned out, and with the skinny jeans it really pops! I just wrote about how my 5 year old is sadly (and has for a couple years) beyond "novelty" prints for clothes outside of the house - rest assured when your little one outgrows being able to wear fruit shirts to school - friut nightgowns get more and more satisfying to make! I'll be following from now on to see what other adorable garments you make for your little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Annie, I love this gorgeous top! The fabric is really pretty. Lovely out fits and pics! Thanks so much for the visits and sweet comments that you left on my blog. Very appreciated :)
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww the top is adorable, loving this fabric :)

    Thanks for linking up to Creative Mondays..

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...