Friday, July 25, 2014

Kid Art Sally Dress for Little Momo

The Kid's Clothes Week has a theme this season, and the theme is "Kid Art."  This was just a push I needed to do something I have been thinking of doing -combining my sewing with Momo's art!


My daughter loves coloring.  My first thought was to create something she can color with fabric markers.  But lately, she has been a bit of perfectionist when it comes to coloring...when she goes out of lines or she sees the colors are not working out for her, she destroys her work.   I did not want her to destroy something I have sewn, so I tried something else.
I made a Sally Dress in sleeveless version.  Sally Dress has two large pockets, just perfect for me to add Momo's art works on.

Here are the examples of her drawings.  Yeah, I know.  She is quite an artist, isn't she???  ;D


I gave her white papers and a black sharpie to draw whatever she wanted.  Then I picked something I liked and easy to trace.  I had just bought puffy fabric paint to use on another project I have in my mind, so I tested out this puffy paint. 
Momo is bigger because she is a "big girl" now ;) 

I used broadcloth fabric for the pockets.  The fabric is thin enough to see through the black sharpie for tracing.  I traced the artwork to the pocket pieces before sewing up the dress, in case this would not work out well.  It was my first time using a fabric paint, and I was not sure how this was going to turn out.  I sure did not want to ruin the dress at the very last step!

I placed the art work too low on the pockets.  When I hemmed the dress the stitches had to go over our legs!
Why does this happy-faced sun has 3 eyes?  Well...one of them is actually his nose ;)

I know my fabric paint job is iffy, and this is not the prettiest dress I have ever made.  But this was supposed to be a fun project for both of us, and I think I achieved that.  Momo thought it was funny to see her drawings on her dress!
I got this cotton print from Hancock's clearance table.  I wanted a print that is not something I would normally pick.  I did not want the print to get too much attention or interfere with the art work.  I thought this print was just about right and I liked the color.  It just happened to be the same blue-green color with the broadcloth I had in my stash.  


The dress is made in size 3T with added length.  Sally dress's bodice is short on Momo, so I added extra 1 inch in length.  I also lengthened the skirt to make it below-knee length.  
Momo loves the large pockets.  She asked me what she could put in those.  I told her she could put her treasures.  Then the rest of the photo shoot was Momo hiding something in there and asking me to guess what they were...







Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



9 comments:

  1. I adore this idea! I love projects like this. I love how you put so much love I to every
    Reject, and tailor each item to suit MoMo so perfectly!!! Cuteness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean this dress is not the prettiest? I love it :) The little painted details on the pockets are so adorable! Love it, really do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is simply adorable!!! What a beautiful and beautiful memories being made. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome idea to add the artwork to the pockets, Annie and a wonderful project to do together. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a lovely dress! Her little drawings are great, a wonderful way to incorporate them. I will have to make one of these dresses with pockets! Added length is a good idea. -rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute - those fabric paints take me back though! I decorated some Keds back in the day! I love how your daughter gets excited about the pockets full of treasures - my G still gets excited about the possibility of treasures in pockets. I bet she was very proud of her art being on her dress! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea, beautiful dress :)

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a creative idea! Love it! I'm featuring this at this week's link party! http://www.thelifeofjenniferdawn.com/2014/08/a-little-bird-told-me-link-party-102.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...