Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Refashion Projects for Little Momo

Refashioned?  Up-cycled?  I am not sure what the proper term is,  but I had some of those projects that needed to be done.


The first one I worked on is this T-shirt dress.  It was a size 3T T-shirt that became too short on Momo.  She could still fit in it and it was one of her favorite T-shirts, so I wanted to extend its life for one more season. 
I referred to this tutorial for this refashion: The Ballet Dress -It's Always Autumn
I skipped the elastic waist band, and sewed the T-shirt and skirt piece together using elastic thread in the bobbin (I read the tip here).    Also rather than cutting the skirt as trapezoid shape, I just kept it rectangular and gathered it.  But I did  follow the fabric advice and got the same kind of knit and tulle as the tutorial.  And I am so glad I did...this foiled tulle is $7.99/yard and that is much more than the cheap $1.99/yard tulle, but it is worth it.  This tulle does not get wrinkled like the cheap kind after wash, so it is great for apparel.   The jet-set knit seems to "break" when stretched, but it should hold up well for 1 season I need.  
Momo loves this dress and wears it every week.  The skirt is cut salvage to salvage and not really full, but the shiny tulle seem to make her feel special. 


Next, I had this Orange Gauze Summer Dress I made 2 years ago.  Since it had good skirt length, I cut it up and made a skirt out of it.
The skirt is made of 2 pieces cut salvage to salvage, but it is so light and flow-y since the fabric is gauze.  Perfect for Momo to spin in.

I added another fabric for waistband to keep the skirt length.  This skirt should be good for this season and maybe next season too.


And lastly, I had this Double Gauze Summer Dress I made 2 years ago. This project taught me to test the pattern fit before cutting up your favorite fabric.  I received this Nani Iro double gauze from Japan and was so excited, I could not wait to make it into a dress.  When I made the dress and tried it on Momo, I was so disappointed it was way, way too big on her.  It is not easy to use a seam ripper and re-work on gauze fabric, so there was no re-do.    I learned my lesson...now I try to test out the new pattern before I would sew with a special fabric.
The dress was fitting still loose on Momo last year.  This year the fit and length did not look good when worn as a tunic.   I usually do not have problems giving away Momo's outgrown clothes,  but I was not ready to be apart from this Nani Iro fabric... I cut it up and made it into a skirt, using the bodice piece as the waistband.  The dress probably would not have fit well to anyone anyway, so I think this was a good refashion...
Momo was not very excited about this skirt.  It is not pink, purple, or twirly.  But she will have to wear it once in a while to keep this mama happy... I love that fabric...







Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



4 comments:

  1. Save the Nani Iro- it could still be a short little straight skirt when she's older...or (gasp) a baby dress in many, many years!! Very nice refashions! I love seeing the before and after photos. Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great refashions Annie, aww love the little white and blue flower dress and now a skirt :)

    Thanks for linknig up to Creative Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous refashions, Annie!!! I wouldn't be parting with the Nani Iro fabric, either.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...