Monday, August 4, 2014

Skirts for Skirting the Issue 2014


I have sewn several skirts for Skirting the Issue this year.  I did not participate last year, because I did not feel my handmade clothes were good enough to be given to people who are not family members.   This year I know my handmade clothes are still very home-made and not professional looking, but I feel a little better about them.  


The first one is this pink skirt with tulle peeking out.  I followed this tutorial: Full Skirts with Trimmed Tulle Peeking Out -Make it & Love It
This is size 3T and modeled by Momo.  I felt the skirt was too long and it was made a little shorter after these photos were taken.  

Next are those simple cotton gathered skirts.  They are all made with the leftover fabrics from my previous projects.  I did not need a tutorial for them, but the measurements and the fabric requirements found here were very helpful: Basic Skirts Free Pattern -Peek-a-boo Pattern Shop
I sewed one  size 2T and two size 6 skirts.

 This is a circle skirt in size 6.  I followed the famous circle skirt tutorial: The Circle Skirt Tutorial -MADE
The fabric is maybe polyester, I am not certain.   It is not as light weight as quilting cotton but flows nicely as a circle skirt.  It does not wrinkle, and that is what I like most about this skirt.
I was able to make 2 skirts out of 1 yard of this fabric.   This is a gathered skirt in size 6.  I was able to add pockets to this one.  Though the photo only shows one pocket, there is another one on the other side.  I used this pattern and tutorial for the pockets: Inseam Skirt Pocket Pattern & Tutorial-Paisley Roots.   I actually ended up cutting size 2/3 pockets because of the limited fabric, but I think (hope) they are okay...

And lastly, this is the skirt I sewed last and debated myself  whether I should include it or not... It is a knit skirt in size 6.  I followed this tutorial: 30 Minute Stretchy Tube Skirt -Make It & Love It
I used this polyester/spandex mix knit I bought online, and it was one of those "not what I expected" fabric.  I realized this fabric did not work on me, and had kept it for a while.  I thought it may work okay when worn by little girls, so decided to make skirts out of it.  It turned out this fabric was not easy to sew.  Somehow the stitches got skipped or thread broke when sewing on this fabric.  I was able to sew straight line, zigzag , or stretch stitches by changing the tensions and sewing slowly, but I just could not make the double needle work.   After ripping and sewing and ripping and sewing...I spent well over 3 hours on this 30 minutes skirt (not the pattern's fault!).   I almost tossed because the stretch stitches I used for the hem instead of double needle stitches do not look good, but I thought, no one is forced to wear it if they do not like it...so I included it.  I had enough fabric left to make another skirt, but I am not tackling this fabric again.  At least for now.

I ended up sewing mostly size 6, because that just happened to be the good size to sew for he fabrics I had.

7 skirts this year.  Hopefully I can do better next year!






Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



5 comments:

  1. Wow, 7 skirts!! I know the recipients will be very happy. My favorite is the one with birds on it. I have a ton of remnants big enough for a smaller skirt, and I think I'll sew them in masses next year like you did!! Anything I have that small next year won't fit anyone here, so I'll need to sew through it all:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These came out so cute.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy, Annie. They are all beautiful, but my favourites are the one with the tulle peeking out and the circle skirt. And I think all your sewing looks professionally done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful skirts!!! All are cheerful! Thanks for sharing!
    Hope you have a wonderful day!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie,
    Thank you so very much for sewing along with us. Your skirts are beautiful...really, each one is adorable! The girls who get them are going to love them. Thank you again for participating with us. We appreciate it!
    -liZ

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...