Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Vintage Inspired Saudade Sun Dress for Little Momo

Taking a break from all the twirly dresses, here is a little sundress I just sewed for Momo...


This dress was not on my never ending to-sew list.  But when I saw this free pattern and tutorial of Saudade Sun Dress last week, I just had to make one.   I was able to finish it before our outing on the weekend.  
The fabric is a very light weight cotton lawn, perfect for a sundress Momo could use on a sunny Texas summer day.  I have had it in my stash for a while not knowing what to do with it.  I loved the vintagy-flower print and the colors, but the problem was the flaw in the fabric...the print error ran right in the middle of the fabric.   It was from a "mystery" fabric bundle I bought from a Japanese online apparel fabric store.  I knew the fabrics I would receive were more likely to have flaws, but I did not know exactly what the flaws were or how the flower print looked like.   It was a fun gamble and I was paying very little money for them.    The print flaw restricted the use of this fabric, but I was able to cut the pieces for this little summer dress.

The pleating details of the Saudade Sun Dress was just what I think this vintag-y fabric needed.  I love how the dress turned out!
The back of the dress can be finished with one or two buttons.  Since I was using small buttons, I used two.
I cut size 4T bodice and it fits loosely on Momo as I expected.  Extra few inches were added to the skirt's width and length.  I am hoping Momo can wear it next summer too.

The only small problem I had was the pleating...after I was done with the front bodice pleating, I realized the bodice piece did not match the lining piece.  I must have traced the pleats lines wrong...those things happen when you are sewing after 2am... ;o  I was able to re-cut the already-pleated bodice piece, so it was not a huge problem.  But I will be more careful next time!

It was another hot summer day, but we enjoyed mother-daughter date day in the country.  I cannot wait for the cooler days to come, so we will be able to stay outside all day...






Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



8 comments:

  1. Oh it's so sweet! I love the fabric too. A very practical dress! I wonder if it will fit next year. Maybe I'll have time to make Sofia one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sewing after 2 am? That is dedication! Or obsession? Regardless, the dress is super cute. It is on my sewing list for this summer... when it comes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, this is sooo beautiful! What a great fabric choice... Thank you so much for using my little pattern! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous dress. I love the little pleats at the front.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty dress! Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty! The pleats are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! I want to make one of these, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful dress Annie, love the fabric too :)

    Thanks for linking up to

    #CreativeMondays

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...