Monday, September 15, 2014

Kiki and Jiji Inspired Black Dress for Little Momo



It's the new season of Project Run & Play!!   I hope to sew along again for one or two themes.

The week1's theme is "80's cartoon inspired."  To be honest when I read that I thought that was the week to skip.  I checked online to see what the 80's cartoons were, and I did not see anything I knew.   But then I thought, it should not be limited to American cartoons....what did I watch?  I remember watching Studio Ghibli animation movies.   My favorite was Totoro, a story about 2 sisters meeting the magical spirits in 50's Japan countryside.  The younger sister is 4 years old, the same age as Momo, and  it would have been so cute to dress her in a retro jumper just like the little girl in the movie... but I was not supposed to make a costume ;o  So I turned to my second favorite movie, Kiki's Delivery Service.
This movie is about a young witch girl, Kiki, who leaves home to train and live as a witch on hew own, with her sidekick Jiji the black cat.   
I sewed a little black dress for Momo.  Kiki wears a very plain, shapeless black dress.   I wanted Momo's dress to have a little more shape and details, to be more updated and something wearable.   I decided on a knit dress and tried out a free pattern I recently saw here: Tea Collection Caravan Border Dress -Dotta.
Black is not Momo'd favorite color.  To get her excited about the dress, I told her this is her witch dress.  That got her excited about the dress :)
The pattern is offered in the size 2T, so I added extra width and length.  I also widened the neckline, and added more flare to the skirt.  Well I overdid it again...the dress turned out HUGE on Momo.  But silly me, I did not adjust the armholes and the sleeves, so the sleeves turned out too tight.  I had to rip and re-cut the dress :(   But when I sewed them back together, I decided not to sew the long sleeves.  Instead, I attached those flutter sleeves, since we do not need to wear long sleeves yet.
Can't forget about Jiji the black cat!  I tried freezer paper stencil to add the little cat to the dress.  I had been avoiding fabric paint, because I was not familiar with it.  But I wanted to try it after I saw this freezer paper stencil tutorial for kids: Freezer Stencil Kid Style -Paisley Roots.  If the kids can do it...I can do it too, right???
I got the image of Jiji online, printed out, and traced its silhouette.  I used "soft" fabric paint, and I am hoping this stencil will hold up well... If it does, I can see more fabric stenciling in the future.  Momo sure loves having a cat on her dress!
The fabric is Ponte Roma knit from Jo-Ann.  I picked this knit because it is soft and smooth, and mostly, it does not look like its color would fade.   It has nice weight and does not curl, so it was fairly easy to sew.   But my machine would sometimes skip the stitches.  I read that skip stitches are caused by the blunt needle, so I switched the needle.   That did not fix the issue completely.  I wonder if I need a serger to sew this knits... I do love the fabric, and would love to make something for myself too.
Fly, Momo! Fly!

This project put me into Halloween mood.  Now that I have wrapped up summer sewing, but we don't really need fall/winter clothes yet,  I plan to do some fun sewing, including Halloween costumes. 







Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     

18 comments:

  1. I love this dress! I like that it's inspired by the movie but also good for Halloween season. I just made my little girl a dress with that pattern too and will be posting it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that dress!!! I adore those movies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great PR&P project! I love the inspiration- nice to see something a little different too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, your dress is so cute & I loved reading how you choice your inspiration.
    http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. We will definitely have to check out Kiki and Jiji--my kids LOVE Totoro (see my PRP project for this week) and this sounds like a great one to watch next, especially with Halloween around the corner! Your dress looks great--I've been curious about that Tea Collection knock-off pattern, so I appreciate the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That purple kitty...perfection! No wonder she loves the black dress she thought she wouldn't!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute. I adore that purple cat, you did a great job getting brightness and clarity on your stencil. I love the dresses silhouette flutter sleeves. You might be tempted to get a walking foot if you are having problems with knits. I used to have problems with the skipping stitches thing then I found a walking foot at a discount store, I will never look back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your dress. It's so darling! I love the simplicity of it with the cat stenciling detail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute little dress! I love how she got excited about it only when you said it was a witch dress, ADORABLE. I love when I see little girls in unexpected colors like black :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The purple cat gives just a little pop of colour, Annie. I love this dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so cute!! that kitty is adorable!! Love the whole outfit ;o) I'm currently hosting a book inspired sew a long... you can link up anything sewed in 2014.. have you sewed anything inspired by a book? Come on over and check out Sew Many Books at Nap-Time Creations! The link to the sew a long is in all the sew many books posts...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the simplicity of the dress with the wow of the cat stencil. It's lovely! For the skipped stitches, are you using a stretch stitch needle? Sometimes a jersey needle works just fine, but then others a stretch works better. It's crazy to think there's so many different types of needles :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Annie! I love this dress! The stencil cat is a lovely touch. All pics are sweet as alway but I especially love the last one.
    Hope you have a wonderful week!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww Annie, this is such a sweet dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! And the flutter sleeves are pure genius! Maybe I could work on that pattern again and offer it in different sizes...!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want one for me! Thanks for the inspiration :o)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...