Monday, October 20, 2014

Simple Snow White Dress for Little Momo

It is October, the month of costumes.  And the princess dress sewing continues for me...  
The latest is the simple Snow White dress, made with knit with comfort in mind.

After making this knit dress this summer, I had some leftover ponte knit fabric.  Looking at the royal blue color, I thought I got to use it to make the snow white dress.  Luckily I also had yellow knit fabric in my stash to make the skirt.  I just needed a little red knit for the sleeves, and I was able to find the same ponte knit in red in the remnant bin.  At the store I also bought 2 yards of shiny tulle to add the princess-y feel to the otherwise a little boring dress.
The dress is basically a T-shirt with gathered skirt attached.  The bodice was made tracing store-bought T-shirt, and I made it loose fitting.   The extra width was added to the sleeves to add a little puffy-ness.  The sleeve pieces were cut into pieces in red and blue with seam allowances, then sewn together.  
This has to be the simplest princess dress I have ever made for Momo, and also the most comfortable.  Momo can move around in this dress anyway she wants.   I thought about adding some decorations to the front bodice, but decided not to.  The dress is not lined and I did not want any stitches to bother Momo.  I think the Snow White dress is perfect to make the simpler version.  It is still very recognizable, thanks to those color combination and sleeves.  I did not like the white stand-up collars, so I skipped it,  Instead, I added white color in the neck binding, using scrap fabric.  Not only the simplest, this dress did not cost me much to make.
The skirt is made with knit cut salvage to salvage, and 2 layers of tulle gathered together.  Since they do not fray, I did not even have to hem the skirt.
Apparently this poison apple was so delicious, Snow White took more than one bite...

Every weekend in October I take Momo to various Fall/Halloween events around the town,  and this dress has been great... Momo can wear it comfortably all day, unlike those store-bought "itchy" costumes.   To make this dress non-itchy, I trimmed tulle in seam allowance shorter than knit skirt, so when attached to the bodice it would not touch Momo's skin.
Also I did originally made the skirt longer, but it was cut shorter to make this dress "go anywhere" kind of costume dress.  Momo can even climb play towers in this dress.
Momo has been enjoying the month of October so much.  And the fun continues...







Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



9 comments:

  1. I love it, she's the cutest Snow White ever:) homemade costumes are always comfy, cuter than store bought, and survive the washing machine. MoMo must have the most extensive dress up wardrobe ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable!!! I love your sweet Snow White!
    Hope you have a wonderful Fall!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dropping by from The Inspired Wren and your post has made me smile today. What great dress up clothes you make and how darling is Momo. Just wonderful - Chris @made by ChrissieD :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. So CUTE! And no hemming is my kind of costume!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww lovely costume :)

    my daughter still has her Snow White costume even though it does not fit any more...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks SO much more comfortable than the ones you see in shops. Love it, Annie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omgoodness! Little Momo has grown. It's been a while since I've been on. You always do such an amazing job. I'm sure she's having a ball with all of these fun dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The costume is adorable as is Momo! She's growing so fast! Thanks for sharing. You are one of the features at the Make it Pretty party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week's party. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2014/10/make-it-pretty-monday-week-118.html Hope you have an awesome week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...