Sunday, December 14, 2014

Holiday Caroline Party Dress for Little Momo

I cannot believe it is December...the holidays are coming and this year I wanted to sew the holiday dress for Momo.  I am realizing I do not have time to sew everything I want to.  I scratched off some items from my to-sew list , but a holiday dress is a must-sew!
The pattern I used is Caroline Party Dress.  This was actually a test dress for me.  I have sewn this pattern before, but I have not sewn it with collars or layered gathered skirt before.  Also with the previous dresses I had a problem with invisible zipper getting stuck at where the bodice and the skirt meets, so I wanted to test the invisible zipper foot I just got.   So while I plan to make one with special occasion fabric, I used my stash fabric to sew this test dress.
The sewing went mostly smooth.  I used quilting cotton so no fabric issues there.  Zipper installation was easy with the new foot too.  But I messed up the collars.  They are not even and the gap in the back is too wide.  This was caused by my errors...  I had the size 4T pattern, but cut the pieces slightly larger, because I thought it might be necessary for Momo to wear a shirt underneath on a cold day.  But I did not adjust the collar pieces, thus the wide gap :(
Taking the dress apart is too much of a hassle, so I sewed on those ribbons to hide the problem.  It ties in the back to hide the gap, and adds festive feel too.  Wearing the hair down also helps ;)
Though it was a test dress for me, Momo loves it.  That is the best compliment I can get.  And I was able to use everything I already had...the fabrics, tulle, zipper, and ribbon.
Can you tell the dress is a little too big on Momo?  It was a warm day and she did not need a shirt underneath.  Well I added extra length to the skirt, so Momo will be able to wear it the next holiday season too :)







Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



8 comments:

  1. Adorable!! I love the dress with those boots, too. Nice save with the ribbon!! So you must've gotten a new sewing machine?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dress Annie :) thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your fabric choice (even though you said it's stash fabric). I think the ribbon is a beautiful decoration, I would not know you're hiding a problem, so well done ;) No wonder she loves the dress, because it's really adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great save with the ribbon, Annie and a beautiful dress. I love your choice of fabric and Momo's choice of footwear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! I love all about this dress! Your sweet Annie is so lovely on it!
    I wish you a very Merry Christmas!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable! I love the pattern on the dress and the collar, it look very nice with the rest of the dress! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful dress! Purple is a great color for the holidays. I noticed the bow right away and thought it looked cute before you said anything about it. It doesn't look like you're hiding anything.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...