Thursday, January 22, 2015

Fleece Belinda Dress for Little Momo

Here is one of the fleece items I have been sewing for Momo lately.  We have had some cold days since the holidays, and she needed something warm and school appropriate. 

The pattern I used is: Belinda Dress.
I bought the pattern thinking it would be cute in fleece, but when I looked at the pattern closely, I realized it has 2 fabric panels in front skirt to create the pocket. That would be very bulky in fleece.  But when I read this post, this dress could be made with micro fleece.  I love wearing micro fleece myself...they are warm, stretchy, and comfy.  So I was happy to find Jo-Ann does sell some micro fleece.   The micro fleece selections are very limited, both in solid and prints.  I liked this dot print the best from what I could find.   I actually bought the fabric last winter, and finally a year later I got around to make this dress.
The solid black and pink are also micro fleece, black from Jo-Ann and pink from Hancock Fabrics.  I used the pink fleece to make Frozen's Anna cape and had plenty of leftover.  I actually would have preferred to use the dot and solid black only on this dress, but I was afraid it would not have enough pink color and Momo would not wear it.
The micro fleece from Jo-Ann is smoother and I liked how it felt better, but later I found it was harder to sew...My sewing machine would eat it, though that never happened with regular fleece.  I was half way through sewing this dress when this started to happen, and it was so frustrating...I tried changing needle and stitches, but did not help.  What worked for me was sewing with tissue paper under the fabric, but even that did not work with stretch stitches, and I had to stick with regular or zigzag stitches. 

What I like about the Belinda Dress is the cute bubble shape.  But I have to admit...the dress in fleece has extra volume, making my daughter looks like a giant balloon ;o
Momo actually said "I look like a pumpkin..."

Momo is not very happy with her "pumpkin" fleece dress...I guess the extra pink did not help :(   But she wears it when I ask her to.  She knows if she refuses, she would not get any more princess dresses or twirly dresses ;)
Just hang in there Momo...it will soon be warm, and then hot, hot, hot.  There will be plenty of days to wear twirly skirts and dresses :)







Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



4 comments:

  1. Haha. You are so funny. I bet that dress is super cozy and weather appropriate. The princesses will return I'm sure, but I love this dress too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the bubble effect on this dress, Annie. The pink band is a good contrast between the dress and leggings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet dress Annie, love the polka dots :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute dress!! And, little Momo looks great in it! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features tonight at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/02/make-it-pretty-monday-week-127.html Hope to see you at the bash. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...