Friday, March 20, 2015

Bunny Knot Dress for Little Momo

This week I managed to sew up a dress for Project Run and Play's March challenge.  I got caught up in the selfish sewing last week, and I did not start this project till Monday.  Finding the time to sew was most challenging ;o
The challenge is to sew Knot Dress pattern as you like.  I kind of expected this would be the featured pattern when the designer was announced, since this pattern just became available for free.   But deciding what to sew took me some time.  Then one day I was looking at the dress picture and thought those shoulder ties reminded me of floppy bunny ears!  I knew what I wanted... I wanted a dress using my bunny print fabric!
I kept the shoulder ties as-is, because I feel they are the main feature of the dress.  I removed the back tie, because I could tell Momo would complain the knot on the back when she sit or lay down.  And while it is cute, Momo's daddy would not approve the open back design.  
I made the double layered skit, with silver dots peeking.  To highlight the layers, I added ribbon pickup to the front layer.  Just a little another "knot" here ;)
Here is the closeup of the print.  There are also owls and cats, but definitely more bunnies are there.  I got it from Japan and it was sold by 1 m cut.  That was just enough to cut the skirt and half of the bodice pieces.   Homemade piping was added at the waist, as I felt sash would make the dress look too busy.
I cut size 4T with added length.  From the sizing chart I knew it would be too big for Momo, and it is.  But I wanted to make sure she would not have a problem fitting into it since I was removing the back tie.  Also I was thinking of possibility of wearing a shirt underneath.  Anyway she will be able to wear this dress for a long time, which is a good thing.
I thought it may be fun to let Momo be a bunny...  turned out it was not such a good idea.  Look how awkward she looks ;o   As long as I play some music for her, she is happy to dress and dance while I snap some photos.   Taking photos during the weekdays was another challenge.  I should really manage my time wiser!







Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



21 comments:

  1. This is adorable! I love the colors you used and the bunnies are super cute. I agree about photos on the weekdays. I had to do that too this time. After work for me, after preschool for my daughter. Let's just say we had a good number of outtakes in that photo session =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The underskirt and ribbon pick-up was a good design element. Very cute.
    Deborah @ Sew Much To Give

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how this is layered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That fabric is so cute, I also like the ribbon pick-up a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so lovely! That fabric is amazing, and I just love the piping detail at the waist as well as the double-layer skirt. I'm always a sucker for a ribbon pick-up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the rabbit fabric! Inspired design all around. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Great take on the pattern you've taken it up a level for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great easter dress. I love the layered skirt and the piping!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great easter dress. I love the layered skirt and the piping!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This little dress just couldn't get any more perfect! Homemade piping, layered skirt, ribbon pick up, bunny fabric...it's all so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always jealous of your Japanese fabric! You put a special touch on everything you sew. Good job for keeping her modest:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I AM SO IN LOVE WITH THIS!!! Like - I want to make the EXACT same one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Annie, your dress is ADORABLE!!! Love the polka dots peeking out, the piping, the fabric... everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So lovely! Your fabric matching is brilliant. Love how you've got everything just right with the full figures showing on the bodice and skirt. A fabulous little dress for a lovely little girl. And the polka dot underskirt is a very stylish touch too. All the best, Bonny

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww this dress is adorable Annie, such a beautiful dress :) love the material and different layer ..

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable! Momo is so fun and lovely!
    Hope you have a wonderful Easter!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Japanese prints are so incredible, aren't they? I love what you did with this one--congrats on being in the top 10!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...