Saturday, March 14, 2015

Nadeshiko Cappuccino Dress for Me!

All those "Selfish Sewing" talks going on around the blogland got me to sew something for myself!

 
I bought Cappuccino Dress + Tunic sewing pattern last week, when the sew-along for this pattern was announced at Oliver + S blog.  I have been wanting to try this pattern for a while, and it was just the push I needed.   
I sewed the dress version since I really wanted to try those almost-invisible front pockets.  And since this was the first time I was trying out the pattern, I choose quilting cotton to eliminate sewing issues.  The fabric is designed by Juliana Horner and I got it from Jo-Ann last year.  The flowers look like dianthus? (Nadeshiko), and they usually come in pink colors.  But I am glad this fabric is blue...print like this in pink would not be right for me.  Cotton voile from my stash was used for neck and sleeve trims.  
So while the pattern instruction was clear and sewing the quilting cotton was not a problem, I had a fitting issue.
After I sewed the side seams and tried on the dress, I noticed the excess fabric making a huge wrinkle.  I tried sewing different lines of side seams to see if this can be eliminated, but was not successful.  I checked online to see if anyone else is seeing the same issue, but no one seems to be talking about it.  I believe this problem was caused by: 1) neckband that was trimmer narrower, and 2) my flat chest ;p
After a little more internet search, I concluded the excess fabric in length was the issue.   I really did not want to take the dress apart at this point, so I took in about a inch and half by creating huge darts across the bodice.  It almost looks like the front has a separate yoke piece. 
There is a back seam, but there is no zipper or buttons.  That is one of the reasons I bought this pattern...I can use woven fabric and no zipper or buttons required!
I have sewn quilting cotton for my daughter's dresses so many times, but wearing it myself feels a little wired.  I am thinking to try this pattern with more drapey fabric next time.  I will need to check the fitting again, and it will have to wait till I am done with a couple of projects I have in mind for Momo.  But I am hoping I will not push this project in the back of  my to-sew list again :)







Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     





11 comments:

  1. The dress looks elegant on you and the fabric is beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So fun to see you sew something for yourself! Great job, Annie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress is gorgeous! If I had those legs, Id never wear pants:) lovely make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dress! I love the fabric! You are so elegant!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dress! I love the fabric! You are so elegant!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely dress Annie, beautiful fabric :)

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great save, Annie. I really like the style and that fabric is gorgeous. I'm thinking I could make this for me in a tunic length to wear with leggings. Pinning so I don't forget if ever I get around to sewing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lovely dress and the fabric you've used is gorgeous! It looks very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks really cute, Annie! I've been wondering about whether or not to make it with quilting cotton as I think I might have the same thoughts of it feeling weird to wear. I'm curious about the difference that a lighter weight fabric might make.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking up at Whatever Goes Wednesday. Your darling dress was the most viewed link last week, so we'll be featuring it at today's party. I hope you'll come party with us again!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is lovely. I really like the fabric you have chosen - so pretty - and very professionally finished. x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...