Monday, March 30, 2015

Strawberry Shortcake Hat and Skirt for Little Momo


I wanted a quick, fun sewing project.  Costume/character sewing projects always fit in "fun" category for both Momo and me.

To be honest I am not very familiar with the Strawberry Shortcake characters.  Momo learned about the show at school, and told me she loved it.   So while I did not know much about it, I remembered seeing the Strawberry Shortcake hat tutorial.  I followed this tutorial to make the hat: Lil Strawberry Shortcake Hat Tutorial -  Sew Can Do
The hat is made of fleece.  I got mine from Hancock Fabrics for $1/yard.  I would have liked lighter shade of pink, but I am not complaining at this price.  I had scrap of red fleece and pompoms at home, so this hat cost me just $1.
The tutorial uses strawberry embroidery, but I do not have an embroidery machine.  So I just hot glued some pompoms.
The hat turned out huge...it is meant for size 3T/4T, so I did not think to check with Momo' size.  I was supposed to cut the brim with 22 inches inner edge.  I did, but I am not sure what the seam allowance should have been.   And I probably did not overlap the brim edges enough, the hat came out so big.  It was big even on my head!
Since this is just a play hat, I did not take it apart for re-do.  I pinched and sewed the center back.  Still the hat is big enough to swallow Momo's head, if it is pulled down ;o

I did not mean to make a complete costume, but I wanted a cute skirt to go with the hat.  I really wanted a knit, but did not find pink with red dots.  I found this pink with glitter dots cotton at Hobby Lobby and made a circle skirt out of it.   To match the glitter, I used silver elastic band for the waist. I found the elastic at Jo-Ann.
In order to give the hat some shape, I used air-filled packaging bags.    If I were to make it again, I will probably try felt...felt is stiffer and I am thinking it may keep the hat shape better. 
When I showed Momo the hat, I thought she would be so excited.  Instead, she told me that is not the Strawberry Shortcake hat.  Whaaaat?  Of course it is!  Then I learned the show she is talking about is renewed version and the characters look and dress differently than the classic version.  Oh, I did not know that... ;o  For the current Strawberry Shortcake hat, I should have used green color for the brim.  Well, I am not making another one and Momo just have to accept this!

  





Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



6 comments:

  1. I love the skirt you made to go with the hat! What fun! I love how twirly circle skirts are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. she is getting big! nice girl!
    you know, I always wanted to make this hat for MYSELF! I just might try now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww this strawberry shortcake hat is simply amazing!! such a lovely outfit. Great work Annie :) pinning all the way...

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love it. I'm a huge SS fan, the original lol!! Kids sure do get picky once they decide we can make anything like magic...very cute sew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Annie! Such a sweet strawberry hat! Pink fits perfectly on Momo! Lovely photos as usually!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. An awesome Strawberry Shortcake outfit, Annie, even if Momo feels it's the wrong version. I'm sure she'll still wear it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...