Sunday, April 19, 2015

Reindeer Hanami Top for Little Momo

This season of KCW's theme is "Wild Things."  Isn't this a great theme...I expect to see so many fun projects.  I got really excited with this theme, and I really wanted to participate...the theme matched to what I already had in my mind to sew... a little tunic top using this pretty forest animal print fabric. But I had to move up my sewing week early because I knew I personally will not have time to sew in the week of 4/20, not even 1 hour a day.  

So with this cute fabric, I finally sewed a Hanami top.  I have had this pattern for a while...I got the pattern as a part of the Perfect Pattern Parcel#2.   I was just waiting for the right fabric for this design.  And I just felt this print and color is perfect for a spring Hanami top.
I had enough fabric to make a dress, but I just thought this would look better as a top.  The fabric is Michael Miller quilting cotton I got from Fat Quarter Shop during their 24 hour flash sale, so I got a really good deal.  I saw the fabric before the sale and it really caught my eyes, and I felt so lucky when I saw it on sale.  It was one of those times I just had to break "no more fabric shopping" promise ;)
What I like most about the Hanami Top/Dress pattern are those tulip sleeves.  They turned out just as cute as I thought they would be.
Another Hanami pattern design feature I really wanted to try was the crossed back with side button closures.  But I realized this fabric was heavier than I thought and might not be a good idea to use in multiple layers. So I went with invisible zipper instead.  The zipper I used is so short, that it only opens up half of the top, and that is good enough or Momo to wear on/off the top.  I will try the crossed back design next time...with much lighter fabric.
Momo loves the top, and calls it "Reindeer Dress." I think the deer in the print are just regular deer, not reindeer.  Also I did make the top longer to make it a tunic top, but not quite as long as dress length.  But "Reindeer Dress" is what Momo calls it...and as long as she is happy, I am fine with whatever she calls it :)







Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



12 comments:

  1. What a fun dress! I love it and and am glad to see some early peeks of the Wild Things theme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Fabric The forest-theme and the golden trees look amazing. Love the overlap in the sleeves. I often add that detail to give a little oomph to the outfit.

    -FarZain
    @http://colorsofourrainbow.blogspot.ae/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely top, the fabric is great and the sleeves are indeed perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really beautiful, I think the color is great for Momo and it's always so nice when your kid loves the result :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute--I've been meaning to try the Hanami pattern ever since I bought it in the pattern parcel too, and seeing yours was the motivation I needed! I showed this post to my daughter and tried to convince her to go for the top version but I'm not surprised that she preferred the dress--I just finished it last night and have to get some photos now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the sleeves too!! The whole outfit is adorable, those boots!!! I think I'll buy that pattern...I'm thoroughly impressed. She looks precious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just have to get my act together and use this pattern. I've had it for ages. I LOVE your Hanami tunic, Annie. It was the little tulip sleeves that attracted me to the pattern in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous photos, I love the top!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely patten and fabric :) Beautiful top.

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely top and fabric ! Love the petal sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's adorable! I completely forgot to let you know this is one of the features at the Make it Pretty party at The Dedicated House. Thank you for sharing. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/05/make-it-pretty-monday-week-134.html Hope you have a lovely week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...