Monday, May 18, 2015

Twirly Summer Dress for Little Momo

It is May, and it is time to sew for Project Run and Play!  I skipped the last month's bag challenge, but this month's pattern is Summer Chevron Shirt, a cute and practical wear...I had to try!
I did not change too much from the original pattern.  The change I did obviously is adding the circle skirt and making it a dress.  I could have extended the top into a A-line dress, but I was afraid Momo would not like that.  I did not want to sew something Momo will not wear, so I did what I had to do...making it a twirly dress.   As usual, Momo's first question  when she saw the dress was..."Does it spin???"...yes, Momo...you can spin in it and the dress will spin with you :)
The other change I made was the sleeves.  I cut the pieces longer so that I could add extra gathers.
The main fabric is from my stash, Moda fabric I bought few years ago shortly after I started sewing.  I have been wanting to make something with it but could not decide on the design.  With this challenge I was finally able to use it.  It is a cute floral print, but selecting the coordinating fabric was the hardest part...I went to 2 stores and felt nothing I saw was a good match.  I went home empty handed, and ended up using this aqua fabric also from my stash.  Fat quarter was just enough to cut out those yoke and sleeve pieces.  
I liked the fun feel of ric rac in the original design, so I sewed it to my dress too.  And then I decided to add it to the skirt as well.  It is a full circle skirt and takes a lot of it...lucky that I found this perfect matching color ric rac for $.25/yard from clearance bin! ;)
As soon as the dress was done, Momo could not wait to wear it.  She says she loves the dress, and I am so happy to hear it.  Looks like the dress will get a lot of wear this summer :)
Here are few notes about this pattern.
1. If you want to add ric rac to the yoke, you should do it before sewing on the sleeves, With the newly updated pattern, the sleeves covers the entire yoke and extends to the main bodice.   I followed the instruction and added the ric rac later, and ended up unpicking the sleeves a little bit to sew on the ric rac.
2.  Read the instruction on the back elastic loop placement.  It clearly says the loop needs to be placed between the yoke layers.  But I saw the photo of the loop on top of the both layers, and that is what I did...again I ended up unpicking, but it was hard to do since I was using very short stitches to securely sewed on the narrow elastics.  
Momo was rewarded with strawberry marshmallows for this photo shoot.  Not that she needed the reward...she loves the dress and was happy to model for me.  But of course, she would not refuse such a yummy treat ;)






Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



15 comments:

  1. I like rick rack a lot, as it just such a happy trim. I find myself wanting to put it on many things that I sew . I especially like the big fat rick rack and baby rick rack.... heck, I like all sizes. Your dress turned out beautifully.
    Deborah @ Sew much to Give

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that Moda print! Congrats on a beautiful dress that's sure to be loved. I think if I make this pattern, I'll make it exactly like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The aqua looks great with that fabric, and who can resist a circle skirt? Thanks for the tips, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are the dress maker Annie! That is beautiful and the aqua yoke and sleeves are a great detail. I love ric racs too, nowadays I especially like to sew them between seams so only half of the ribbon is visible. I should actually go and buy some new ric rac....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty dress again. This pattern works so well with sweet florals. Momo is a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty dress again. This pattern works so well with sweet florals. Momo is a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great fabric combination and those circle dresses..., they stay magical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful dress, Annie. Aqua is great co-ordinating choice. Love the large ric rac.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute. And I love the buttons you picked out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dress is gorgeous! Very much Momo style :) I am the same and would not make something my daughter would not want to wear. Love the main fabric you chose for this dress. Ricrac ties it in nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful dress! I would love for you to link up to the Stitch It, Blog It, Share It Link Party going on now at BehindtheSeamsSewing.com.
    ~Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable dress! The colors go well together and the rick rack really sets it off!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...