Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Wizard of Oz Dorothy Inspired Summer Dress for Little Momo

This month's pattern for Project Run and Play's sew along is Frozen Elsa Dress.  It is a great tutorial showing how to make a simple princess dress that would please any girls.  But to be honest I was not sure what to do with it at first... I love making princess dresses, and I do plan to make one or two this year, but I will probably do that later this year.  It is so hot right now, I just do not feel like sewing fancy dresses.  But missing out this challenge?  Me, who love to sew pretend dress-up clothes?  No, that was not happening!   After a little thinking,  I remembered the Wizard of Oz event I am planning to take Momo to this summer.   It would be more fun if Momo had a dress to go with it!
I wanted this Dorothy dress to be something wearable and not too costume-y.  So I made a summer dress with the inspiration.   Luckily I had this blue gingham seersucker in my stash.  It makes an airy summer dress Momo can wear all day long comfortably.   Seersucker was so easy to sew with, and I love that I will not have to iron this dress :)
The Frozen Elsa dress pattern comes in separate pieces.  That would work great as a costume, especially for kids to dress up on their own.  But I wanted a dress, so I sewed the bodice and the skirt together.   Also I wanted more than just a tube top, so I cut the front and back bodice pieces separately, and gave it a little shape.   
Velcro closure would not work on this dress.  I went with elastic thread shirring, a perfect choice for an easy-going summer dress.    Then I sewed on those wide straps in V-shape, trying to mimic what I saw on Doroty's dress front in the movie.
I picked the largest white buttons from my stash.   It would not fit in the buttonhole foot, so the button holes had to be done manually on the straps.  Good thing I had to make only two of them...

Momo was eager to do this Dorothy photo-shoot.  Even though I did not show her Toto till we got to the location, I think she expected it because she saw me packing the basket into the car.    She was not surprised, and was just so happy she got a new baby (that is what she calls all her stuffed animals).  
I was able to sew this dress with my stash fabric and buttons.  But I ended up buying Toto and the new red shoes for Momo ;o   MUST purchases in my opinion ;)
Momo will have to wait till the weather cools down to get new princess dresses.  Meanwhile, I am loving my little Dorothy!






Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



20 comments:

  1. This dress is a lovely take on the inspiration. I'm a big fan of more simple,classic looks -and if you don't have to iron them even better! Your yellow brick road is a nice touch too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet. I really like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty dress.. Perfect for the summer.

    -FarZain
    @http://colorsofourrainbow.blogspot.ae/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! I think you balanced it perfectly - looks very Wizard of Oz but not costumey at all. She could wear it all the time! (Although my daughter has Rapunzel dress-up dress and she wears it all the time anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shoes and puppy were totally mandatory:) love that dress! It's so summery and very Dorithy-esque.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect summer inspired Dorothy. I love it and want to make one myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can't beat gingham seersucker, Annie!!! A beautiful dress and totally fits the theme on both counts. When the weather cools down, she'll be able to wear it with a white t-shirt or blouse underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this dress, it looks classic and cute at the same time, those big buttons are great. Guess what, I made a bit similar dress like this (and it's made of seersucker too but floral) to my youngest some time ago, it hasn't been on the blog yet because I want to take the photos on our holiday :). I was too busy to participate PRP this month (and I'm not able to participate KCW either), I'm sure this dress will end up to the top ten :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darling dress, love the props!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this dress. It is not costumey and can be worn any day, all day long. Perfect for hot summer days. Of course red shoes and a doggie were the must ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So so cute, love this! The red shoes add a nice detail!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So so cute, love this! The red shoes add a nice detail!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dress is adorable! Thank you for linking up at the #StitchItBlogItShareIt Link Party. I hope you'll join us again every Sunday night at 7pm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That seersucker looks so airy for summer--how fun to have a "dress-up" dress that she can wear anytime! Really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your daughter looks absolutely adorable in this pretty dress. I love your creativity with the design, it has all come together perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Momo is adorable in her Dorothy dress! I love the red shoes, and in one picture, Toto looks like a real dog! Cute! Thanks for sharing at the Submarine Sunday Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Annie, this is my first visit and I'm glad to meet you. This dress is so precious, love the blue and white seersucker and the design. Momo is so cute in it along with Toto. I'm interested in learning more about the sew-along you got this pattern from so will be looking into that - my girl is all grown up but I sew "dresses for girls in Africa" and this looks like a great pattern to use. Thanks for sharing, and congrats on your feature at The Dedicated House.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Weekly Feature Series is live which you are a part of! Here is the link to the Series. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/07/weekly-feature-series.html Thank you for joining The Dedicated House. Have a great weekend! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...