Wednesday, July 22, 2015

INSIDE OUT Twirly Dress for Little Momo

Has everyone seen the Disney's latest movie, INSIDE OUT yet?   Even if not, I am sure most of you are familiar with the characters...the emotions inside the head, Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear, and Disgust. I saw this adorable INSIDE OUT character fabric at Jo-Ann and I just had to get it for Momo!

While I love making costumes, I am usually not a big fan of the character fabrics.  I think the movie characters always look better on the screen, not on fabrics.  But once in a while there are exceptions, and this one was it!  Brights colored dots with simplified character faces...and those faces are adorable!
I knew Momo would LOVE the fabric, but I really wanted her to LOVE the dress.  That means...yes, it had to be a twirly dress ;)  Since the fabric's base color was white, it needed a lining.  I decided on Georgia Twirl Dress pattern because of its twirl power and the layered skirt. 
Georgia Twirl Dress also has some nice details, such as color blocking and overlapped sides.  I thought these details would help the dress look less cheesy, even with a character fabric.
 I adjusted the pattern a little to make it better fit for Momo, and to also give it a better coverage in the back.  I actually used the same pattern pieces I used to make the top last year since it still fits her perfectly.     I added homemade piping around to add more interests.  I found the perfect matching blue color fabric for the piping, but I could not find the matching yellow fabric for the color blocking. It was either this pale yellow or hurt-your-eyes bright yellow.
So another twirly dress was made...and of course Momo is very happy!  I am getting a little tired of twirly skirts and the endless hem I must iron... But I think I will miss it when Momo grows out of this twirly stage.
I wanted to make a matching hair accessory, and made a fabric-covered button.  Why Anger?  Well that was the only face I could cut out from the leftover scraps.
So who is Momo's favorite character?
She loves Joy and Disgust!
Momo could not stop dancing...that is a pretty good indication that she loves the dress  :)
Momo and I just watched INSIDE OUT this past weekend.  I was thinking of waiting for the DVD to come out...because I knew Momo would keep asking questions throughout the movie...and also I knew I would not be able to hold tears.  But Momo begged and promised she would not talk during the movie, so I took her to the theater.  Well Momo could not help asking something once or twice, but kept her words.  And I was prepared and brought some paper towels ;)  We loved the movie!






Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



16 comments:

  1. I love every dress you've made with this pattern! (Now I will have to see the movie.) Cute hair accessory too!! You're so right about missing the twirleys when their gone....that's how I feel about ruffles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know the movie or the characters (maybe it has not reached Finland (or me) yet) but I do know I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! I love the dress and the details, especially the piping and the back! That pale yellow is a great choice with the fabric!

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful dress Annie, Great style and the material is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know what Inside out was last week!! Then I watched it with my children yesterday at the cinema, ha.. Love this dress :)

      Delete
  4. It is a beautiful dress Annie. No wonder Momo loves it. Such thought through details. Piping certainly adds a lovely touch to the dress. I am not a fan of character fabrics either, and only ever used it once because my daughter really liked it, and gee, seeing a smile on her face while she was picking all the characters was so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the pale yellow is perfect for this dress. Endless hems have had me walk away from a project for a while, the iron and I don't get on very well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So playful and lovely, both the dress and your daughter :) Damjana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darling dress and she looks so sweet twirling in it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now what girl wouldn't want a twirling dress?? I'm 47 and I want to wear it! It's just darling...and as usual, so is she! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You successfully pulled off making a license print look sophisticated. The piping is a nice touch, and the yellow works even though it isn't the same as the yellow in the print. The hair clip is a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute dress, and I love the matching hair clip! We haven't seen Inside Out, but I guess we should see if soon. I bet my daughter would love it. Thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unless you had mentioned it, I would not have known it was character fabric, Annie. A BEAUTIFUL dress!!! I like the pale yellow for the colour blocking. I think a brighter yellow would have detracted from the lovely fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dress is very lovely and the fabric is bright and cheerful :) I saw the movie one month back and it was sweet. I loved the sadness, she was cute and funny :) It was a nice way of learning that while we always try to keep children happy, there comes time in growing years that they need to live with sadness and joy together and balance life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this twirly dress! That fabric is awesome. My husband to my daughter to that movie when I wasn't home so I will have to wait for the DVD.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...