Friday, September 4, 2015

Maxi Washi Dress for Me!


Here is my latest selfish-sewing, and it's a maxi Washi dress!  This was another Washi Dress I planned to sew last summer, but that did not happen...just like many other projects I plan in my head ;p    The dress is not perfect, and I will mention about the flaws.  But first let me say, I do like this dress!


The Washi Dress pattern does not come with the maxi dress version, but Rae has written up two tutorials on her blog, one for fully lined version, and another for bias binding version.
This fabric is rayon challis I bought from Hancock Fabrics' clearance last year.   I must have paid less than $4 a yard.  Since it is not see-through, I went with the bias biding option.
The bias biding finish made this dress simpler to sew, but it still took me 2 weeks sewing little by little.  The reason for that is because I tried several test muslins for the bodice.  I liked the last Washi dress I made, which was in size M, but I could not deny that there was extra room in the chest area.   So I tried to adjust the fitting...first I tried small bust adjustment (SBA).  The pattern does not come with SBA instructions, but it points to where to get it.  So I tried it...and I actually liked the fitting much better!  But the darts angles looked so odd, they were pointing too upward.   Though the SBA instruction seemed clear, it was using another pattern as the example, and I could not be 100% certain if I was doing it right.  I was also unsure about adjusting the waistline back after SBA.  So for the second muslin I tired something else...I used the size M bodice, with size S darts.  The fitting seemed good, and the darts were not pointing upwards; however, they were too long.  Then for the third muslin I just tried making size S.  Size S fits me fine on the chest, but it felt tight on other areas.  I have meat on shoulders and back rather than on the chest, so the smaller size was uncomfortable when I moved around my arms.  So what did I do?  I just went back to the plain size M without any adjustment...
It turned out, this dress fits me better than the last dress in the same size, because the rayon challis shrunk quite a bit with shirring!  I like the softness of this fabric, and how it drapes.   But I am not crazy about it as it requires ironing.  I own a few dresses made with rayon, but they do not need ironing, so this was a little annoying...especially at the maxi dress length!.  Also cutting the rayon challis was not as easy as cutting a quilting cotton.  It is not slippery like a silky fabric, but it moves around.  I am making a note to myself, that if I ever work with a rayon challis again, I should stick to a simple design with less curves to cut.
The dress could have been better.  I wish the front gathers are little more even.  And as you can see, the armhole bindings are sort of sticking out.  And those are my second try...the first bias tapes looked much worse.  But I am thinking they do not stand out if I keep my arms down.   
I am willing to overlook those flaws because the dress is so comfortable, I love the color and feel of the fabric, and of course I love the Washi style!
Summer is far from over for us here in Texas, so it is not too late to sew a summer dress now.   But I am thinking this dress will be great for fall, with a scarf or cardi to coordinate.  What do you think?






Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



12 comments:

  1. I think it's great!! You look so tall. I love the soft brown colour and I think it' s easy to match with different colours/prints. So, like you said- it's perfect for fall too with cardigan and scarf and what about vest, that might look nice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's perfect! I love it, the pockets are great. Sounds like you really went through the wringer on fitting, the medium looks like a nice fit to me. I haven't gotten the hang of bust adjustment at all. I'm still mad at my tank top and havent sewn anything since. Soon I will try again because your dress is beautiful and worth all the muslins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, you look great!!! The dress really suits you and it drapes beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I have a lot of maxi dresses but none in that color...And I would love one in the same color. Here I go adding another project to my to do list in my head! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post! I would love to invite you to my new link party The Beautifully Creative Inspired. The party launched on Friday and will continue every Fridays at 9AM eastern time on 5 BLOGS! It runs until Wednesday night :D Hope you can party with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh that is really gorgeous!! It really looks like knit in the pics, such a great drape. Looks super comfortable too!! So: my Washi hack has always been that I make a size S front paired with a size M back. My shoulders are fairly broad but the SBA always seems wrong to me, and if i go down to a size S it feels too tight in the shoulders. I've found that putting the two sizes together works just fine....might work for you sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought it was a knit from the pictures too--looks so comfortable! This looks great as a maxi--the washi skirt isn't too full so it gives a really nice long silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the length! It is a perfect fit on on you too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I dig these kind of dresses. You can jazz them up as you see fit and stay comfortable at the same time. Im happy you found one that you like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. add a little sweater or shawl and sure, wear it anytime of year! love the dress! so stylish, simple and comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely dress Annie, this is my favourite style :)

    Great work :) thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Annie. You totally rock this dress. I checked the link that you gave for the bias binding finish as you've inspired me to try make a maxi dress like this. Love the color too! TFS:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...