Monday, October 26, 2015

Inside Out Disgust Dress for Little Momo

With a little push from KCW,  I have completed the Halloween sewing!    It is Inside Out for us this year...we loved the movie, we loved the characters, it was an easy choice for us!  Momo's favorite character was Disgust, and she could not have been happier with her choice!

Momo's choice should not be a surprise...she loves dresses and Disgust wears the style she loves.  And Momo sure has the attitude to play Disgust ;)   
But I did not want something totally costume-y.   I wanted a casual dress that can be a costume or an everyday dress.  The hardest part was finding the right fabric.  I checked around the local stores and online shops, and found finding the right green floral fabric was not as easy as I thought it would be.   I was just about to give up on making a casual dress and choose a special occasion fabric, when I saw this quitting cotton from Jo-Ann.  It was one of the new fabrics at the store, and it was the best Disgust's dress like pattern I could find.   
I used First Day Dress pattern, but changed the neckline to V-shape.  Also the skirt was changed to gathered skirt to make it look more like the Disgust's dress .  I made one size up to get more use out of the dress...I am thinking we may want to wear the same costumes next year :)
The dress has one button closure.  This is one of the reasons I love this pattern...no zipper, no button holes.
I used chiffon fabric from my stash to make the scarf.  The leggings are the same ones Momo wore as the Woodland Fairy.  The letter "D" was made with felt and attached to the store-bought belt.

So if Momo is playing Disgust, who would I be...?



Joy, of course!

My first thought was to be Sadness...I liked the character, and thought Sadness costume would be the easiest...I should have no problems getting a blue turtleneck sweater and pants at stores.  But then I realized turtleneck sweater would be too hot to wear...we still wear summer clothes in October.    So Joy it is...and that is okay.  We love Joy too, besides, how can we play Inside Out  without Joy?  ;)

I hoped to make a simple flare knit dress, and even got a pattern for it.  But I could not find a knit fabric in the right color.  There were some that looked good online, but I do not like to shop online when the color matters.  Luckily, I found this perfect yellowish lime green fabric from Hancock's clearance table.  It has a bit of stretch, but it is not knit...I had to change my plan, and used Simplicity's 1610.  The fit is a little too loose...I do not mean to grow bigger by next year like Momo, but it is just me struggling with the fit as usual ;o
My bald hubby is perfect to be Anger.  I only had to make the tie for him.
I used fabric paint for my dress and his tie. I am quite happy with how they turned out!

I used color hair spray for Momo and me, but found our black hair does not get colored easily.  I painted Momo and hubby's faces, and found red face is so devil-like, while green face is so zombie-like ;o  But we had fun getting dressed up, especially Momo. She cannot wait to do it again for the Halloween day!


Happy Halloween!





Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



5 comments:

  1. I love it! What a sweet family photo-I always wanted matching costumes! Okay, I've got to see that movie lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two gorgeous dresses, Annie. Love the blue pattern on yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures and amazing dresses :) you always have great ideas.. We loved Inside Out ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the last picture! What a pity I don't know the movie I think I really have to google it now :). As usual Momo's dress is perfect- and the color, wow! I like your dress too and that tie is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely awesome outfits :) Gosh I can only imagine how much fun you have had! Momo's dress is perfect. I like the V neck. Your dress looks gorgeous. Love that fabric. I am with Krista re your husband's tie :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...