Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Woodland Fairy Costume for Little Momo

I took a little blogging break...it was unplanned, but there were several things that have been keeping me busy...mainly the new schedule brought by Momo entering the kindergarten, and the craft room makeover I have been working on.  I have less personal time to sew now, but October is a fun time to sew for someone like me, who loves costumes!  I just had to sew even if that meant even less sleep hours for me ;o
This woodland fairy costume was unplanned, just like my blogging break.  But I love fairies, and when the costume idea came to my mind, I got really excited.  Momo confirmed she would love a new fairy dress, so I tired to make something that would please her too.

The fairy costume was not on my to-sew list, but I was planning one or two new princess dresses for Momo this fall/winter season.  One of the dresses I have planned is a new princess Tiana dress.  I actually made the Tiana dress 2 years ago...and Momo has outgrown it.  I usually make her dresses bigger to get more use out of them, and since her chest measurement has increased only a little, she can still wear all the dresses I made 2 years ago...except the Tiana dress.  The dress was made just the right size, and it no longer fits. Tiana being one of our favorite princesses, I wanted to make Momo a new dress.  My plan was to just update the bodice and use the same skirt piece from the old Tiana dress.  But I realized I do not have the same fabric to make the new bodice, and the skirt is too short now.  The dress was already deconstructed, and I wondered what to do with it.  The sage green color made me think of a fairy costume.
The Tiana dress skirt had 2 pieces of ivory color satin cut salvage to salvage.  I used one piece for the top lining, and another for the skirt lining.  The skirt is a simple gathered skirt with tulle overlay.  I cut the tulle into 1 yard pieces, fold them in half and gathered them. I alternated the green and pink tulle and attached to the skirt.    The green tulle is from my stash, but I had to buy some pink tulle.   I just had to add a little pink to make Momo happy :)
I drafted a simple bodice with shoulder ties for the top.  I cut out 6 pieces of petals out of the crepe fabric, gathered them and attached them to the bodice.  I was finishing the petal hem with rolled hem foot, and I was not very happy with the result.  After finishing 5 petal hems, I suddenly thought about burning the edge.  I tried on one, and loved how it looked!  Why didn't I think of it first???  Well that is because my brain stops functioning after midnight... ;o
I traced store-bought leggings to make those green leggings.  I usually do not make leggings, because they are cheap to buy and there is no fit issues.  But who knew it would be hard to find green colored leggings?  These are made with very thin knit, and I don't see Momo wearing them beyond costumes. 
The flower crown is silk flowers glued to a piece of ribbon.  Overall it stayed on Momo's head well.  
The wings are $1 store find...I do not make when it is cheaper to buy... ;)
 I love how Momo looks as a fairy, and she enjoyed being one the whole day.  She is growing so fast, and I think about the day she will fly away...but for now, this fairy flies back to me :)

It is Kid's Clothes Week...and the theme is DISGUISE.  How fitting for this time of the year!  I will hopefully get the Halloween costume done this week.  The princess dress may have to wait...I have done a lot of preparations, and I will see how much I will get done.







Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



>

9 comments:

  1. Hi Annie!
    Another great costume, I really enjoyed photos! She is getting big!
    See you,
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. How good it is to hear from you! I figured the new sewing space was going to take a little time. Exciting and stressful!! I love the burned edges on your satin. I've seen flowers done that way and never would've thought to finish a dress like that. Very cool! Good save on the Tiana dress too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just gorgeous, Annie!!! Very clever idea to burn the edges. I would never have thought to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute fairy dress! Momo rocks in them. Very nice to see a project from you after some time.


    FarZain
    @http://colorsofourrainbow.blogspot.ae/

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to hear from you! I was already afraid you gave up blogging - I didn' t remember the sewing room make over :). Momo looks beautiful, this is a true fairy costume, fantastic work like your costumes always are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just lovely! She looks beautiful!
    Jennelise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annie, it's so beautiful! Popping in to let you know you are one of the features at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week's party. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/11/make-it-pretty-monday-week-157.html Hope to see you again at the party. Have a happy week! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...