Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Cinderella Ella Dress for Little Momo

 It is week #4, Signature style week for Project Run and Play.  What this means for Momo and me...it means Momo is getting a new princess dress :)  I guess this is our "thing" until Momo grows out of her princess stage.
I hoped to join PR&P week #3 glitter challenge, but missed it.  Momo loves anything with sparkles and I am pretty sure she would have loved anything I make, but I just did not have a concrete idea and time to experiment.  This is a pretty busy time of the year for us, and we have had events non-stop since the end of January...Mardi Gras, Lunar New Year, Valentine, a birthday celebration...and then Rodeo is up next.  I have been running around, planning, and making something every week, Honestly I am starting to feel burned out.  But I really did not want to miss this challenge...I planed to make this dress last year but did not.  If I don't push myself now, it was never going to get done.
If you have seen the live-action version of Cinderella movie, you know the movie is about the DRESS!  Momo and I watched it in the theater, and as I was walking out of the theater, I was thinking to make the dress for Momo...of course it could not be an exact replica, that is just not possible.  But I just hoped to make something Momo would approve ;)
So I had the idea and bought the fabrics last year.  When I saw a blue organza at Hancock Fabrics, I thought I was so lucky.  The color was perfect and sparkly, and price was perfectly cheap :)  It was so lightweight, I thought I could add multiple layers along with tulle to add some volume to the skirt!  ...That was the idea until I actually worked with that organza, and found it was a nightmare to work with!  It did not lay flat, so I could not cut it straight.  It frayed like crazy, and it was falling apart as I tried to hem!  I spent hours and hours trying to hem it, and eventually gave up.  I kept re-cutting, and the cut piece was getting shorter and shorter.  I still did not want to give up on making the dress...the base was made with stretch satin and there was no problems there.  Then I went to Jo-Ann and saw this another blue organza.  While it was not as sparkly or flow-y as the other one, the color was a good match (the color does look a lot lighter in the outdoor photos).  And it was a lot sturdier and I thought it could handle Momo's abuse better ;o   So I got this new organza, but did not want to try hemming again...  What did I do?  I cheated ;p
To eliminate the need to hem at the bottom, I folded the fabric in half, and gathered the raw edges together at the top.  I was not going to put myself through the trouble again.  I better make a note to myself that never to try to hem organza ;p
But this means I had to make a change, and I decided not to add tulle.  I just felt wired adding tulle layers underneath.
The dress bodice is from Secret Garden Dress pattern. I have used it here and here before, and knew Momo could wear it on and off without a need of a zipper thanks to the deep open back.  That was important, so that she could wear this anytime on her own to play dress-up.  The skirt is a simple gathered skirt.
I cut another piece of organza longer than the whole neckline, and made it into a infinity-loop like scarf.  Then sewed it down around the neckline at 4 points, front and back centers and shoulders.
Those butterflies are from floral section of the craft stores.  I thought they looked more realistic and better than the ones I could make with fabric or ribbons.  They came with tiny clips with sharp teeth, which could rip the delicate organza.  First I simply tried covering those mini clips with ribbons, but then those clips did not hold on to the dress well.  So I took those tiny clips off and replaced it with larger ones.
I did ask Momo to wear an underskirt for this photo-shoot, to add  nice shape to the skirt.  It is a simple gathered skirt with ruffled nets.  I made it last year for this dress and it has been very useful since.
The dress has enough twirl power Momo loves...
Momo does approve the dress, and this purple-and-pink-loving-girl now claims blue is her favorite color ;)  She kept thanking me, and that kind of response makes it worth staying up all night to sew.
But I do have noticed Momo is spending less time playing dress-up these days.  I wonder if her princess days will be over soon. I hear girls outgrows them around age 6 to 7.  It always leaves me in mixed feelings when I notice she is growing!






Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



10 comments:

  1. Yay! Another Momo princess dress. I love seeing your work, and this is no exception. I've seen so many attempts at that dress, and yours is brilliantly playable and gorgeous. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in awe! I saw the movie and fell in love with that dress. Yours turned out amazing! I've never hemmed organize, I will probably avoid it forever:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful, Annie. I love how you adapt and mix different patterns to get the look you are after. Clever idea to double the organzer, so no hemming was needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a fantastic job on this dress! Definitely keep making her dresses while she wants them. My daughter stopped a few years ago, and will only take special occasion dresses every once in a while. I did make her a cosplay Elsa dress, though. :) That was fun! Oh, and yes, organza is the devil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, I think once again you have succeed making a princess dress, you are a true master in this area! It looks beautiful both front and back, well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful fabric, Annie. Great color. Another masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty dress Annie, you did a great job here :):)

    Thanks for stopping by Creative Mondays..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet princess with such a beautiful dress!
    Have a happy day!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...