Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Pirate Fairy Zarina Costume for Little Momo

Hello, anyone, anybody out there...!  It has been about 2 months since my last post.  Does anyone remember us...?  You know, the little girl who likes to play dress up, and her mama who just keeps sewing for her?  ;o

Well the duo is still here...I just have not had enough time to sew or blog.   This costume is actually something I finished before our Christmas vacation, and I meant to write about it as soon as we were back.  But I could not get the photos until this past weekend, when the nice weather and our schedule finally matched!

Some may not know who the pirate fairy is...she is Tinker Bell's friend, Zarina.  I made the costume because we had a chance to go to a pirates' party during our Disney vacation, and I naturally thought Momo should dress as Zarina :)

Ahoy Matey!

So here is the close-up pic.  Instead of the corset, I made a vest.  It is more appropriate for a little girl, and it would stay on her body.  I used a fake leather from Hobby-Lobby and cotton lining, finished it off with eyelets and suede cord.  The pattern is self-drafted, and it took a little trial and errors.

I made a double-layered gathered skirt with the top layer wrapping around.  This suede-like fabric was a lucky find from Hancock Fabrics, for just a little over $1 a yard!   I finished off the hem by burning it...it is easy and quick, and I think the burned edge look goes well for this costume.   But Momo mentioned it itches a little.  I guess she needs a pair of leggings.

The peasant shirt is the same shirt Momo wore with her Gingerbread Girl Dress.

I skipped the red beads belt, as I did not think it would stay on Momo's waist without sewing it onto the skirt.  I did not want to do that as I like her clothes to be completely washable.   But now I feel like this costume could use the belt, and thinking how I could add that...

The wings are from a $1 store.  They were green, and I used white spray paint on them.  It did not paint completely...but the green color is toned down, and it helps keep the glitter on the wings and not on the clothes ;)

We enjoyed spring-like weather this weekend.  I could not think of any pirate ships nearby, so took her to a park.  We pretended to make some pixie dusts, and Momo also gave me a lesson on how to use the pirate sword...
Fly, Zarina!

My free time is very limited these days.  I have been working on organizing my new craft room and making toys for Momo since the holidays, but I am hoping to start sewing again.  With Project Run & Play and KCW this month, there are enough motivations.  It really comes down to if I have time...







Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



7 comments:

  1. She looks so much older in these photos, Annie. Great going drafting your own pattern. The whole outfit looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely adorable. I always love the whimsy and fun of your projects. Little Momo is a lucky girl. You seam to be able to make just about anything she could ever want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely adorable. I always love the whimsy and fun of your projects. Little Momo is a lucky girl. You seam to be able to make just about anything she could ever want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking forward your newest post, Annie. Great job, as always! She is getting big :-)
    Have a great time organizing craft room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love the vest most of all!! It's so good to see what you've been up to. Hope you find time to sew soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww she is getting so big :) Lovely costume, you are so talented Annie, great work!!

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays ..

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...